Mounting Miter Saw

Just bought my first "real" miter saw - a Delta 12". The instructions say to "firmly mount it to a workbench or other supporting surface."
Have y'all done this? I was under the impression that I just needed to set it on a workbench, etc. Is this a safety consideration?
"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message

set
I'd definitely fasten it to the work surface. Build, or buy, a "miter saw station" of some type, preferably mobile, and attach it to that with bolts. Stability is key to using stationary tools safely and accurately.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

set
Yeah, that is all you need until the first time is moves on you while making a cut. A couple of longs screws or bolts will do the job. Ed
|Just bought my first "real" miter saw - a Delta 12". The instructions say |to "firmly mount it to a workbench or other supporting surface." | |Have y'all done this? I was under the impression that I just needed to set |it on a workbench, etc. Is this a safety consideration?
While it would be nice to have the luxury of a dedicated "saw station" (and I'm thinking about building one) I figure my DeWalt CMS is a "portable" tool. It even has a carrying handle on it for that purpose.
When I built my garage/shop, half the time I was using it, it was on the concrete slab. Now it migrates from bench to bench and also migrated to my neighbor's place while he added on to his house. (I like loaning tools to this guy; he always brings them back looking brand new.) |

To consider: the support for the tailend of the work you're chopping... Or, if you ever want to use it away from a "shop."
http://www.tracrac.com/workstation/workstation.html American made and an excellent tool...with improvements since I got mine a couple of years ago.
--
Doors - Locks - Weatherstripping
POB 250121 Atlanta GA 30325
Wm Jones wrote:

I've got my 12" Dewalt CMS mounted on Delta's rollaway stand:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Fully extended, it can support 16' boards. It's kind of hefty, but that saw's no lightweight anyway. At least now I can roll it around if I want. With those large wheels, my gravel driveway is no problem for it.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

My Dewalt 12" is heavy enough that it won't budge an inch on a plywood scrap between two sawhorses. However, it will slide around on other, more slick surfaces.
Far more important to secure the workpiece. The only time I'd see my saw moving is if I tried to cut a large piece of stock using nothing but hand pressure or if the off-cut tipped the saw.
On 26 Apr 2004 12:52:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com (Jay) wrote:

As far as workpiece support, don't forget your drill press.
I have my DP a few feet to the left of my miter saw, and can easily use the table to support one end of the board.
Barry
I built a saw station. I put cleats to the back and sides of the saw to keep it from sliding. That will allow me to pick it up and take it with me easily.
Rob
(Jay) wrote:

if your budget allows you and you want some mobility invest in the MSUV (miter saw utility vehicle)from Rigid at Home Depot for $99.
I've tried at two different stores, and the best answer I've gotten is that it was a promotional item, and they didn't expect to get any more. They sound pretty good, too bad I can't get one.
that sucks.... they've been $99 for 2 months now at the store in Keller, Texas