Most dangerous tool in shop

It was a repetitive task that cause the table saw accident I mentioned earl ier. I was cutting several small pieces of oak from a long 1" or so piece of square stock. I switched the saw off, started to walk away and realized there was still a piece on the table next to the blade. Over-reached the blade and "thunk-thunk..." It was still turning and my index finger got n icked - all the way to the bone.

Reply to
RonB

RonB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

*snip*

It didn't take long to learn to always wear a face shield (get a good one) when turning the lathe on. I've been hit in the shield twice since getting my lathe.

I saw pictures of a grinder wheel break up, and a description of what was going on. That was enough for me to decide not to stand near the grinder as it was spinning up. Imagine a machine throwing rocks at 3600 RPM.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yeah - I approach the grinder pretty much as I approach the table saw. I try to keep my body away from the plane of the wheel. Even there you can get buggered.

Reply to
RonB

Over the last 63 years the common coping saw has removed more skin and drawn more blood than any other woodworking tool - and most of that was before I was 14!!.

Reply to
clare

Come to think of it, I would also add radial arm saw to the list of tools that can hurt you if you have a thought lapse.

Reply to
RonB

I was thinking of that one too, same time period too. It's funny how the blade can find your fingers on the back of the workpiece, isn't it? ; )

Reply to
Bill

RonB wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I'm not going to pick on the RAS only: Any tool that involves spinning a blade can hurt you right quick. I've got a Dremel Saw Max that spins a little 4" blade. Sure wouldn't take very long for it to hurt you.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I wouldn't dismiss the ubiquitous "box-cutter" either. (don't ask)

Reply to
Max

There are still marks on my knuckles form the coping saw - as well as a pretty good one from a dull jack-knife.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote in news:maui6h$4gj$1@blue- new.rahul.net:

A good point - the most dangerous tool is the one you don't respect...

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Uh, oh! Here we go again! ;-)

Reply to
krw

Yeah super zombie thread, I beg your pardon - kinda stumbled across you folks and wanted to tag myself into the forum, shamelessly :D Recently a new homeowner and handyman/carpenter by trade, this seemed like an excellent place to hang out :)

And I managed to whack myself with a rebounding wheelbarrow today chucking it into the van in a temper tantrum - had to learn an irritating and slightly humbling lesson this morning, so the most dangerous tool was once again the human brain, aided and abetted by physics, a poor aim and a wheelbarrow.

Reply to
Timdiana_James