Re: need help! Router bit problem (i'm a total newbie)

Ususally tightening the collet nut will grip the router bit. Is it that your collet is 1/2" and you are only trying to put in a 1/4" bit? Obviously, if this is the case, it will not work. A 1/2" collet needs 1/2" diameter shanked bits. You can use 1/4" shanked bits in a 1/2" router if you have a 1/4" reducing insert available.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

- Dowelmax Doweling System

- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill

- Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones

- Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence

My folks bought me a (yeah, "economic") Craftsman router but I cannot figure > out how the bit secures to the router. I have a half-inch bit (the steel > kind) and the shaft is round and maybe 3/4 inches or 1" long and maybe 1/4" > in diameter and when I put it in the hole and tighten the collet nut it does > not put any pressure on the bit shaft. I locked the motor to tighten the > nut but still nothing. I can't see how tightening this nut will hold the > bit in place and I can't see that I'm missing a part but since I have never > used a router, it may just be ignorance on my part. > > > I have searched the web and Usenet for a solution but have not found an > answer (the Sears store in West Memphis .... went through 3 different people > and the last guy said he would look at it if I bring it in but he said he > never used a router before!) > > So, that's why I am posting. Need experienced and wise human to quickly > solve this. So, just a straight answer would help me HUGELY. > > The type is Craftsman 1.5 hp, 1/4" collet. > > > Thanks, > Tim > >
Reply to
Woody

Ramsey

The Craftsman has a lock for the shaft, one wrench only.

I wonder if the collet is missing?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

obviously not:

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Have you read the manual that came with it, Tim? Just a thought.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Sounds like you have no collett or a collett for a 1/2" shaft bit installed. I'm going to try to show a cross section of what it looks like, but I'm not very good with ASCII graphics:

_____ _____ | / \ | Nut | / \ | | ___ ___ | / | | \ Collett | | | | ____________ | | Router

The collett is a round tube with slits on the side. It fits in the router and the nut is put on loosly. The bit is inserted in the hole in the center of the collett and the nut is tightened. Tightening the nut allows the ramp inside the nut to exert pressure on the ramp at the top of the collett and exert pressure on the shaft of the router bit to hold it in place. If you have no collett, or too big of a collett the shaft of the bit will be loose in the hole in the top of the nut.

Gene

Reply to
Gene

Tim S.:

Thanks first to all who replied! I didn't know there was a collet that fit inside the round part and tonight I went and looked inside that hole w/flashlight and it seemed to be... a round hole. It didn't have anything that looked like it would clamp down under pressure of tightening the nut. So, I think I have no collet to tighten.

An aquaintence put it together and he either lost it, stole it, or it never was in the parts bag.

So, I guess I'll ask Sears if they'll give me the proper collet w/o charge and I'll bet that fixes my problem. I thought I was just dumb for a second. (hmmm heheheheh)

Also, I read that you should position the bit 1/16" above the base rather than riding on the bottom. Is that true? If so, why? Does it alleviate extra vibrations by not touching the bottom?

Thanks again for the speedy replies. When do you folk find time to do any woodworking? hehehehhe

Oh, another thing (for what it's worth)....

My Craftsman miter saw (also bought for me by my folks as a Xmas gift) was new to me (I'm a musician/computer guy, not a mechanical guy) and I tried to cut a 45 deg but the four pieces didn't line up and I deduced that since the lengths were EXACTLY equal that the angle had to be off of 45. Sure enough, it was. The 45 deg notch was off quite a bit and the other 45 was almost right. I remedied by manually adjusting beyond the notch and using trial and error till it was a good 45.

I plan to try making a few picture frames and now I'm almost ready (miter trimmer next.. when does it end????)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

Tim S.:

Ah, thanks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Simmons

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 02:49:40 GMT, "CW" scribbled

And it, IME, usually also makes the bit easier to remove.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi