Most dangerous tool in shop

He didn't ask which had the most potential - he asked which one has actually injured you.

Mine would be Chisel, Sander, 12" miter saw (pulled the wrong plug when I was changing the blade - it didn't hurt me but it cost me a new pair of BVD's)

Reply to
Steve

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:13:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

OOOOOO NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO

that's just wrong!!!!

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Potentially the most dangerous tool in the shop is either the table saw or more likely the shaper . Free handing a complex piece with a cutter inches away from your fingers, with three HP and goodness knows how much torque powering it is to say the least disconcerting if not bloody scary.

In particular when using a collar trying to get the piece on the collar sometimes is difficult enough where you rely on your own strength and fortitude to fight the Machine before the collar can be utilized to take the load.

Avoiding accidents on this type of machine involves careful planning beforehand and intense concentration when use .mjh

-- mike hide

wrote

Reply to
Mike Hide

I wasn't responding to the OP, I was commenting on the difficulty of defining most dangerous in a context raised by another poster.

Threads do wander, you know.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

My chick when I wont come in for dinner.

Reply to
Sam Hopkins

I've never put a forstner bit through my hand, either, but I'm sure it's happened at one time or another. All tools are dangerous, given the proper circumstances.

My sympathy if you are talking from experience. That doesn't sound pretty.

david

Reply to
D K Woods

Every time I've stabbed myself with a chisel or screwdriver, or skinned a knuckle loosening or tightening a bolt, it's been because I was too impatient to take the time to either do it right or make sure I was using the proper tool for the job.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

My grandfather and my father-in-law each lost two fingers on jointers.

Me, I've learned a neat trick --- although the blades on those jointers, table saws, planers, and band saws tend move quickly, they never actually go anywhere! Which means that if you don't put your fingers near them, they can't get you! Push sticks and feather boards are beautiful things. They have successfully kept all my digits intact.

But I have dropped a few tools and heavy pieces of lumber on my toes. I have a bunch of black toenails to prove it. (They eventually grow out, but I bang them again and get new black spots on my toenails.) So for me, the most dangerous thing in my shop is my sandals. I could have eliminated all of my shop injuries over the years ('cept for a few slivers) simply by wearing my boots.

Reply to
Kelby

Doug Miller

that was the point i was trying to make. . .

Reply to
SwampBug

Agreed 100%. After reading the cautions in the owner's manual for my shaper, I concluded that anyone who reads that, and is not a bit scared of what the tool can do, is not sensible enough to use it.

Doug Miller

Yep, gotta agree there. I've had more (and worse) injuries from hammers than from all other tools I own combined. Chisels are a distant second, with screwdrivers trailing close behind in third.

Doug Miller

Just wondering...

If you agree with me...doesn't that make you an idiot! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

My mind?

(Is this a trick question?)

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

My personal choice for self-inflicted pain is my oxy-acetelyne torch. I'm constantly messing around and picking up a hot part, getting slag in my shirt pocket, just having all sorts of "fun". I wish I were a better welder, but practice can be a painful process at times. I'm really wanting a new stick welder so I can burn up a little steel with it for a change.

Jim

Reply to
Jeepnstein

Isn't it the pits, especially when you have just done your fingernails in that new color....mjh

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

Lawrence Wasserman wrote in rec.woodworking

The only accident I have had so far, knock wood, is a tiny little piece kicked back by the TS that hit me in the side and left small bruise and scrape. But then I AM a newbie and just need more time probably.

Reply to
Ward Cleaver

Quite.

Gorilla Glue would have been a much more suitable repair.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Nah - Traves would have enjoyed the "squeeze out" too much! LOL!

Jums (g, r, & d!)

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Not when you happen to be right. Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

Doug Miller