shop smith

Anyone use this? I am tempted.

Reply to
No-good Boyo

Yes I have had some experience with them. Shopsmith can be a useful tool, especially if you have limited space, and can use the capabilities that they offer, but remember an old proverb "Jack of all trades, Master of none." Still for the right price..........have fun.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

I have had one for several years. Never did like the table saw. Now I use if for a lathe, drill press, and a12" sander. All other work is done on individual machines. Jim

Reply to
Jim Heater

Many people use Shopsmith's as either their main shop equipment or to supplement thier stand alone tools. I use mine as my tablesaw, lathe, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, disk sander, strip sander and horizontal borer. I use the drill press setup for larger tasks, but have a little 8" benchtop DP for most uses. I also have a CMS and scroll saw separate from the Shopsmith. It does not do a good job (in my opinion) as a router or shaper. You might want to join the SSusers group on Yahoogroups.com and hang out for a while before deciding whether or not to buy one. If you are seriously considering it, keep your eye out for a late model used unit.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

That's the first table saw I used. was my fathers, and he has had his for about 50 years.

It is typically set up as a saw, but on the rare occasion when he needs a lathe or drill press - there it is.

thanks, done that

not in my nature!

old and cheap!

but it is encouraging that no-one has a bad word for the tool(s). Yet.

Boyo

Reply to
No-good Boyo

I and father have owned one for 60 years and it is still going strong, only second motor some 30 years ago. Just think, it was $200.00 back then and the jig saw was $29.00. Times have changed! Good machine. I also have a separate band saw, planer, jointer and router table but use the Shopsmith for all cutting, drill press operations. Chuck Callaghan snipped-for-privacy@virginia.edu

Reply to
Charles Callaghan

I love my shopsmith! Mine gets tons of use. Best vertical and horizontal drill press out there, great lathe, disk sander, bandsaw, ect. But remember, no matter how much they improve the model (ie- 500, 505, 510, 520), as far as a table saw- you still tilt the table, not the blade. Big pita for "big wood" projects. As far as making "square end" furniture, with all the infeed and outfeed and side tables available, no problems. Best to get a good old one on ebay. The quality is top notch and they will last forever, and replacement parts and upgrades are always available. I wouldn't pay new price for one though. There are shopsmith purists out there, who buy EVERY attachment, who pride themselves on only using the ss to build there stuff. Unless you're restricted for space, I'd supliment it with other stan alone tools later. Although like I said- they last forever, it's tough to think about the fact that one burnt out motor or belt can bring your whole shop down for a while.

Reply to
Tom