Dark, Red, Rich Mahogany Stain/Dye?

I just glued up a 3'x5' coffee table top out of solid Mahogany and I was wanting to give it that nice, dark, deep red color that you commonly see on commercial Mahogany furniture. What stain or dye color is that?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David P

It's usually called 'Red Mahogany' depending upon the brand.

Reply to
McQualude

He might consider "Minwax Red Oak" stain on the Mahogany.

Reply to
Rumpty

Isn't that a crime against nature?

Reply to
Silvan

"David P" wrote in news:aeUvb.206718$mZ5.1543756 @attbi_s54:

FWIW, there's a local furniture store called Dovetail Designs that uses solid woods. They hand rub it w/ linseed oil. They said the mahogany pieces on the floor were light because mahogany gets darker with age, so all you have to do is rub linseed oil on it occasionally to keep it happy.

ken

Reply to
Ken Yee

As long as the check doesn't bounce, I could care less what color my customers choose!

FWIW, Minwax "red oak" on Cherry doesn't look too bad.

Reply to
Rumpty

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:51:49 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

Indubitably.

------------------------------------------- Stain and Poly are their own punishment

Reply to
Larry Jaques

At the risk of bringing out the "tree huggers" I always use potassium dichromate in water 1:10 by weight. Wear gloves and dispose of any excess properly.

Boden

David P wrote:

Reply to
EL

I'm not hugging any tree you've doused in dichromates ! They're scary.

Andy Dingley