Hood Wiping Wood Stain Test

Today I ran a stain sample test of 6 colors using the Hood Finishing Products "Wiping Wood Stain" on Cherry.

IMO, the stain colors "Dark Red Mahogany", "Modern Mahogany", and "Victorian Cherry" are worth considering for staining cherry.

The Dark Red Mahogany is close to that awful purple brown cherry stain you see in the furniture stores. (This IS the color customers want)

The Modern Mahogany is lighter and a shade of brown & red.

The Victorian Cherry is a shade of warm brown that will mimic naturally darkened cherry.

The samples were finished with Resistane after 1 hour dry time. I noticed no problems like I found with Resistane over Minwax Red Mahogany.

The stain was easy to apply and wipe. I didn't spray the stain on but there is a slow enough dry time to be able to spray on and wipe down before it starts drying. This is a solvent based stain and a respirator is recommended. I used latex gloves and had no trouble with glove melt. There was no hiding of grain or pitch pockets.

I also tested Red Mahogany, Light Red Mahogany, and Autumn Cherry.

Hood We Page

Chart
'll give a production test report next week.

Reply to
Rumpty

FWIW, Xylene is the solvent in this stain. Here is a link for information about Xylene:

Rumpty

Hood's products sound similar to Behlen's / Mohawk.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Rumpty,

Are these stains dyes, pigments, or a combination? The sound like dyes beacuse of the xylene.

Reply to
Baron

beacuse of the xylene.

Barron,

I have no idea! They work well, easy wipe on etc as "Minwax". Next time I speak with Hoods Products I'll ask. I finishing several dark stained cherry pieces next week, I'll advise about the big picture.

I had the family select their favorite crappy dark cherry stain of the mix and they picked the dark red mahogany as the best product for the ummm.... dark cherry market....

Reply to
Rumpty

Behlen's and Mohawk pigment stains contain xylene.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I believe it's a pigmented stain.