Leigh FMT/WoodRat/Multi-Router

I am looking at various mortise and tenon type machines. I am looking for something for a quasi-production environment. Of course my budget won't allow me to buy some huge dedicated Italian beauty (machine not girlfriend) so I am looking at benchtop type solutions.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Leight FMT.

  1. The WoodRat looks a bit gimmicky with the crank feed and attach to wall, plus from what I can tell it makes round end mortises and square end tenons. Go figure. Is that true?

  1. The Multi-Router looks like what I really need but at k to get setup, I think the Leight will have to do for starters at less than k.

My questions: Has anyone used the Leigh? If I had to do 150 mortises an tenons once or twice a month... do you think it can take that kind of usage? do you think I could be reasonably productive?

I am thinking I might make some custom, air actuated clamps and build out some adjustable stops that can be setup for various reproducable pieces.

Any comments would be helpful.

BW

Reply to
Bill Wallace

I have done 140 joints in a week end without getting in a hurry. Expensive jig but does exactly as advertised.

Reply to
Weldon Griffin

I agree. Mine gets used a lot for production work. Once set up (easy and quick) can do joints all day and all fit perfectly.

Reply to
Phil Hansen

Bill,

I went to a Woodcraft demo of the jig last Saturday. Watched him cut a double M&T in less than 5 minutes. Expensive, but if you are looking to do more than a couple, may be worth the price. Everything fit perfectly. I would see no trouble with the volume you listed based on what I saw. A little too rich for my blood, but I only cut a few MT joints here and there.

According to the Woodcraft salesman, Leigh is doing very well with the FMT (not necessarily woodcraft).

Joe

Reply to
JoeV

Hi Bill -

Please contact me by email...

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

dOn 24 Nov 2004 15:50:51 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Bill Wallace) calmly ranted:

It sure looks that way, doesn't it? (Though I've only seen them in pictures.) They tried to save too much money and lost the solid look & feel.

Leigh definitely looks to be the best bang for the buck.

Why not build your own horizontal mortiser, a Multi clone, for 1/4 of that price and a day of fun in the shop? (Can you tell that I've already mulled this over for a long while?)

Use pairs of good drawer slides for movement, perhaps set in slight tension to remove any play. Or upgrade to 3' long 3/4" precision- ground drill rod. It's available from Enco for $6.49 a pop (Qty 2+). Drill out blocks of UHMW-PE for slides or spend $40 a pop for linear guides. Use 3/4" baltic birch for platforms/mounts and t-slot for holddown.

www.wwhardware for slides

for FA409-0045 rod stock and Acme threaded rod/nuts. Use one of your existing routers.

Shop-Notes Vol. 12 Issue 68 has a modest plan for one which you can upgrade as you see fit.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora *

Larry Jaques

So I take it you did actually build the Shop Notes model.. How is that working out for you.

Reply to
Leon