1. Knives that use razor blade edges, such as x-acto and retractables.
2. Everything else.
As I get older, I gain more respect for the fact that injuries only take a
slight lapse in vigilence.
My last significant injury came from a 13.2v cordless drill and a standard 1/8"
drill bit. The bit was a little dull, I pressed a little too hard, and in a
blink, it snapped and the resulting slip put the remainder of the bit all the
way through my left index finger near the knuckle. Looked kinda stupid
fumbling for the reverse on the drill so I could back the bit out of my finger.
Even battery powered tools can be dangerous.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:56:02 +0000, Rich Stern wrote:
I've only been doing this for a few months, and I've already had several
accidents in the shop, and only my safety glasses saved me from serious
injury and possibly a lost eye.
#1. A buddy was drilling and he hadn't put
the bit into the chuck right and as soon as he applied any pressure, the
bit snapped and hit me square in the face. Specifically, the eye. My
safety glasses took the hit and when I went to pick the bit up off the
floor it was so hot it burned my finger.
#2. Same buddy was doing a cut with a reciprocating saw on some scrap.
There was a nail in it that he didn't know/forgot about and he didn't have
the right kind of blade in the saw. It got to the nail and the saw blade
snapped and flew across the room. Luckily it didn't hit anybody.
#3. I was doing some brief chiselling tasks the other day and figured I
didn't need to clamp the piece down, I could just hold it with my hand for
these few little cuts. Wrong. The chisel slipped and now I've got a
chisel-width scar on my wrist.
#4. I was trying to drill a drywall screw and had the drill on reverse. I
had some stubborn knotholes to get through and rather than do a pilot hole
I decided to let the screw do the work. I leaned into the drill and
turned it on and it slipped off the screw and landed on the back of my
hand, which I was using to hold the screw up. So stupid. Didn't even
break the skin, luckily.
I wear my safety glasses pretty much all the time unless I'm just laying
something out. I'm a big dude and my body heat tends to fog them up, so I
wear them during cuts, drilling, hammering, etc, and remove them to just
line things up, clamp, etc. I also wear hearing protection during
anything moderately loud. I've got some hearing loss already from a
decade full of rock concerts and garage band practice, I don't need any
more of it to go.
My grandfather and my father-in-law each lost two fingers on jointers.
Me, I've learned a neat trick --- although the blades on those
jointers, table saws, planers, and band saws tend move quickly, they
never actually go anywhere! Which means that if you don't put your
fingers near them, they can't get you! Push sticks and feather boards
are beautiful things. They have successfully kept all my digits
But I have dropped a few tools and heavy pieces of lumber on my toes.
I have a bunch of black toenails to prove it. (They eventually grow
out, but I bang them again and get new black spots on my toenails.)
So for me, the most dangerous thing in my shop is my sandals. I could
have eliminated all of my shop injuries over the years ('cept for a
few slivers) simply by wearing my boots.
Me too. I have a tiny sliver of swarf embedded somewhere deep inside my
left foot, and an ugly place on my right foot where I dropped not one, not
two, but three box end wrenches off the workbench and right onto my foot.
I should definitely wear boots in the shop, but I have to wear boots
professionally, and I tend to wear my comfortable shoes--sandals or
mocasins--at home, logic be damned. Putting on my boots to go to the shop
feels too much like work.
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan < email@example.com>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621
Lace up some steeltoed shoes for slip-on use and get
the benefit of both safety and convenient comfort.
Or you could always tack 1" medium-density strips of
foam to the top of your sandals, Sport.
- - -
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!
Exactly, Phisherman, exactly. Ya beat me to it. All the other
responses assume power tools are the category, except hammer users.
But there's nail guns-
I've been nipped by my bandsaw only once that counted, and lightly
grazed by my jointer. Not a TS victim yet and pray I never will be.
But chisels, whether little bitty carving or Sorby Heavy-Duty
mortising, gum me regularly. A tiny burst of impatience, a drift of
attention, and *yeowdammit" rings thru the room once more.
Every time I've stabbed myself with a chisel or screwdriver, or skinned
a knuckle loosening or tightening a bolt, it's been because I was too
impatient to take the time to either do it right or make sure I was
using the proper tool for the job.
My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is:
Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can. -- Frank Zappa
Yep, gotta agree there. I've had more (and worse) injuries from hammers than
from all other tools I own combined. Chisels are a distant second, with
screwdrivers trailing close behind in third.
Doug Miller (alphageek-at-milmac-dot-com)
My personal choice for self-inflicted pain is my oxy-acetelyne torch. I'm
constantly messing around and picking up a hot part, getting slag in my
shirt pocket, just having all sorts of "fun". I wish I were a better
welder, but practice can be a painful process at times. I'm really wanting
a new stick welder so I can burn up a little steel with it for a change.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.