Mortising and tenoning doors and windows

Page 1 of 6
The time has come to start fixing windows and doors. Some are coming apart, some are rotting, some are just busted (it's amazing how much damage an ice dam falling 20 feet onto a window air conditioner can do).
The house has 15 double-hung windows, three exterior doors, and 6 interior doors. The garage adds two windows and three doors (excluding the main garage door).
So this works out if I've calculated correctly, to 17 windows and 12 doors. Each window and six of the doors will need a storm window or storm door and a screen.
Doing all this right and old-school, I figure that it's going to add up to something like 484 mortise and tenon joints.
So, the question is what's the best way to approach those joints. Note that I'm 63 and retirement isn't going to happen any time soon so this all has to fit around work and I'm not as spry as I used to be--doing it all with a Japanese saw and a good set of chisels, while it would be good for the soul, isn't going to fit the schedule (I'd like to have it all done before I'm dead).
Now, existing equipment--router table with 3 HP router and Incra jig. 10" Radial Arm Saw. 10" table saw. 14" extended band saw. Radial drill press. Oscillating belt sander. 1.5 hp compressor. Gross overkill dust collector. Portable tools--circular saw, jigsaw, Sawzall, belt, pad, and random orbit sanders, 1/2" drill, electric impact driver. Assorted chisels, saws, planes, and other hand tools. Bench with pattern vise.
Budget. Andersons from Home Depot are going to cost me around $17,000 plus installation. I figure that using cypress and double-glazed glass assemblies purchased online for the windows and cypress and Lexan for the storms, I'm at about 12K with a reasonable allowance for waste and incidentals. That means that I can put 5K into tooling and still be ahead and with IMO better quality and far far greater satisfaction.
I see the options as:     Big Domino     Little Domino     Leigh FMT Pro     Leigh FMT Super     Horizontal Router Table (MLCS or similar)     Horizontal Boring Machine (Grizzly G0540 or similar)     Shop made mortising and tenoning jigs specific to the required     cuts     Something else I haven't thought of
Or possibly more than one of the above.
So, thoughts?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Sorry to reply to myself, but tools, in addition, jointer and planer-- the jointer is probably going to have to be upgraded.
On 09/11/2016 6:56 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

You do not mention anything about the window tracks and other assessors that will be needed to install the all of those items.
If your house is paid for or nearly so, why don't your get a home loan for the windows and go fishing, camping, sailing, or what ever your hobby is.
I would assume that to cut, mill, and glue together nearly a month of 8 hours days to make them. Plus some time to install them. You are not only making a huge investment in materials but also a large investment of your time.
While wood working may be your hobby, with that large of commitment it will become work. And since you will be your own boss, your boss will not take kindly if you slip off for some other activity before they are done.
says...

Repairs to the tracks as needed are included. If I don't stick with the original tracks, jambliners don't even make a dent in the incidentals allowance.

The "rec" in "rec.woodworking", if you did not already know, stands for "recreation". Need I say more?

No shit? Sherlock.
I'm from the "We choose to do this, and the other things, not because they are easy but because they are hard . . ." generation.
Spread over weekends, that's 15 weekends or a year and a third--say three years. That gives me something to do weekends other than stagnate, which is a net benefit.

Which is between me and myself.
On 9/11/2016 9:26 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

It is wise to stay out of debt once you get out.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 09:00:49 -0500, Leon wrote:

And that's the catch. I just finished 15 maple bookcases. One or two is a hobby. Fifteen is just plain work! But they do look nice :-).
carrying a cross.

Would that I could convince my girlfriend of that :-(
John
J. Clarke wrote
That means that I can put 5K into tooling and still be ahead and with IMO better quality and far far greater satisfaction.
I see the options as:     Big Domino     Little Domino     Leigh FMT Pro     Leigh FMT Super     Horizontal Router Table (MLCS or similar)     Horizontal Boring Machine (Grizzly G0540 or similar)     Shop made mortising and tenoning jigs specific to the required     cuts     Something else I haven't thought of
Or possibly more than one of the above.
So, thoughts?
I hope that you've done something like this before, and it sounds like you have! I wish you luck with your (big) project! Maybe you could invite Leon for a visit--he seems to LIKE big projects! ; )
Bill

This thread has been a real education, for me. I barely knew what a mortise/tenon joint was, let alone a loose tenon. So, my question is about the Rockler Beadlock system. Is this not a good system? Is that why it is not listed. Or......?
nb

I've never used it but suspect it is fine. Just a LOT of holes to drill and non-standard tenons.

And making it work well with coping I suspect would be a pain.
On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 8:14:40 PM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:

just received this link today...any interest/comments?: https://www.leighjigs.com/fmt_videos.php
On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 07:08:49 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Pretty expensive! I thought about buying one but you're with spitting range of the Domino, with the FMT.
On 9/14/2016 2:09 PM, krw wrote:

My thoughts and not restricted to size like with the FMT.

Specially considering how much of the tool's contruction is plastic. Festool is equally guilty.

I can see the size advantage to the Festool, but isn't the Domino strictly for slip/floating tenons?
nb
On 9/14/2016 3:22 PM, notbob wrote:

Yes
says...

Are you talking about the Leigh FMT? If so where is the plastic? The Pro is machined frome extruded aluminum, the Super is stamped steel.

While that's how it's normally used, there's no reason I can think of why it can't be used to make mortises that accept tenons cut by other means. The only difficulty I can see is alignment and the rounded ends, but those issues apply to any router-cut mortise that doesn't have a matching tenoner (one of the attractions of the Leigh is that cuts matching mortises and tenons).

I could be wrong. All those black adjustment knobs/levers and tenon guides are either plastic or metal with a black finish. The "guides" definitely look like plastic, to me. Am I wrong?
nb
says...

I see what you're talking about now. Some of the black pieces on the Pro seem to be anodized aluminum. I'm not sure what the guides are made out of but they look pretty robust.
On 9/14/2016 6:43 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

IIRC clamps, and bushings are plastic. Although I hardly see the disadvantage to using plastic. I have not had a tool failure due to plastic.