More traffic from Oz, UK?

Page 4 of 6
On 16/07/2011 6:22 PM, George W Frost wrote:

The statement could well be true if the vehicle is only used for town runs, in Melbourne. Take it onto the highway regular like an' I would wager the vehicle would quickly become a statistic.. particularly the 16valve twin OHC "bobbin" engines. george

well if you burn enough oil and keep topping it up there would never be any need to change it as it would always be new. OTOH if you never need to top up you have to drain it at some time.
I would expect a car to burn more oil if as it ages, especially if the old oil isn't working very well due to age.
dennis@home wrote:

I do love the way you fail to understand almost everything.
Why do you think oil goes black?

good grief.
On 17/07/2011 7:15 PM, dennis@home wrote:

Actually oil is topped up (to indicate it full on the dipstick) with unburnt fuel in older cars (carby) hence gets diluted with this fuel over the intervals of the oil changes.
Topping up oil is very unproductive as the sump is still full of fuel.
More modern cars that having efficient injection burns off this excess fuel.
Yeah but could this car survive more than 6 of our winters, with snow and salt and springs with rust disease running rampant?
N. American vehicles typically rust out after about 8 years, Japanese controlled designs 12-18 years. I think from the few Subarus see around here they tend to fall apart in much less, provided you change the rabbit fur on the seats, every few years.
Have you driven a rust lately? Our Ford admission they have a problem after problem after their 1974 class action suit where they paid all the 1967-1974 owners to drive a "rust tough" POS.
--------------------
"George W Frost" wrote in message
But does it last an average of eleven years in Sweden? Can you drive one for 10 years without ever changing the oil or replacing an exhaust component?
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 20:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Hah! What would a damned banana baron yuppie know about automobiles?
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

I am, what they call, a Petrol Head. I love cars. I have more than a basic understanding of how they work. I balanced my own carbs on my Triumph, replaced both turbos on my (now sold money pit) Audi myself.... I even got into making changes in the fuel management maps. I like some more than others. I have never been rich enough to buy a stable of fine automobiles, simply because the really really really nice ones are so far beyond my income bracket that I can only drool and dream. (Think 1957-8 Bentley, 1928 Mercedes, Healies, the list is long.) I like boxer engines and all-wheel drive. That combo makes too much sense. I absolutely hate chromed plastic. Hate it, hate it, hate it. I thoroughly dislike the body work on Corvettes, not so much the shape as the finish....it looks like fibreglass 'cuz it is, but how can anybody spend that kind of money on a finish that bad? Cars aren't supposed to look like Hollywood starlets! I also can't stand so many of today's cars that when you pop the hood, you see a plastic shield covering the engine. They might as well put on stickers that say: Go away, you are not smart enough to understand what is going on in here!!!
So what do I know about automobiles? More than your average bear. (and as it turns out quite a few mechanics). But all that pales in comparison to what I know about bananas.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yep. Saw one in a Farside cartoon. Vikings are storming a castle using ladders. Arrows are flying, stones being thrown, vats of boiling oil being poured on the attackers, bodies piled five deep at the base of the wall.
Top rung of ladder says "Not a step!"
It's for the children.

================== It's a disclaimer for the idiot that fall off and restricts the law suits from them.
--
Eric

Me thinks you missed the point of the comedy.
"Eric" wrote in message Yep. Saw one in a Farside cartoon. Vikings are storming a castle using ladders. Arrows are flying, stones being thrown, vats of boiling oil being poured on the attackers, bodies piled five deep at the base of the wall.
Top rung of ladder says "Not a step!"
It's for the children.

YMMV.
Either way, Camrys and Subarus are now built in the same plant in Lafayette, IN, about 50 miles down the road from me. Subaru had too much capacity after Isuzu production ended and Toyota needed some way to build more Camrys.

/frown
see what happens when you host a Guggler's post? That idjit followed up on Josepi/Bengi. IOW.. Troll Sap
And now you got roped in.. sheeesh :-/
JMO.. The "Sube" (in the light ute) is an excellent workhorse. Seen many a time when they battled through the dust of my Tojo and were still there at days end. Pretty much "unboggable" too :-}
The cars/SUV(?) aren't as crash hot. We bought one maybe three years ago now. Literally "fell to bits" after some serious auto trans problems with the drive, just dropped in and out of top range at will. We sacked that car and went to a Mazda. Now there is a cost effective midrange vehicle. This looks something like what you would see on your roads?? http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?make=Mazda&model=Tribute
Comes with walnut woodgrain accouterments too.... just to stay "on topic" <BG> george
[schnippfered]

tires....well, may she eats tires.
The Tribute is here in Canada and also as a Ford Escape. Identical 'cept trim and badges.
I bought a used 1973 Landcruiser, which immediately made me buy a new one in 1976. Loved that damned thing. Took it waaay into the bush up north many times, canoes on top, mudchains, winch, chainsaws, bug repellant. That was some supercool fishing we did.

England. But that don't mean I have to be proud of it.

Well. there you go as I said first, another whinging pom

The expression whinging pom came from the immigrants to your country. They made comments about your country that you did not like and this upset you. The whinging immigrants got the hell of Dodge and will never go back.

"George W Frost" wrote in message
Excuse me, but, how much does the Almighty United States of America, owe the Chinese ? Last figure I got was in the vicinity of 2 1/2 TRILLION dollars that's $2,500,000,000,000,000.oo OZ owe the entire Asian countries, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, India etc. $400 million A very significantly lower figure We have to import almost everything because the goddam yankees butted into our economy and "advised " us to go their way. I am glad you didn't stay here, we can do without the fools.
============== Funny counting system used in Australia. Was that a long scale or short scale trillion or is that a prison education standard counting system?
--
Eric

Well, I do not know about the prison counting system But, obviously you do
"George W Frost" wrote in message

Well, I do not know about the prison counting system But, obviously you do
================== Your stated numeric number would be correctly stated as:
in the long scale system "two thousand, five hundred thousand million"
in the short scale system "two quadrillion, five hundred trillion"
not the "2 1/2 TRILLION" your stated in text.
I feel you have made a simple typo in your zeros but since counting system "trillions" and "billions" are not longer defined, thanks to the USA making a mess of all measurement systems, I wanted clarification to your posting. The correct text would be defined differently in each continent of the world.
Don't feed the troll. He was your "aussie" friend here under another nickname. He loves to fill the group with turmoil.
All the best
--
Eric