Miter Saw Fences

Ok, I'm either going to buy or make one of these (http://www.biesemeyer.com/miter_radial/index.htm ). Why do I need a fence on both sides of the saw? I can't recall ever needing but one side?
Thanks!

Guess you don't do goofy 'cut-flat'- crown mouldings, huh? Sometimes you want to keep that 6-footer to the right, sometimes that 8-footer to the left. having said that, It CAN be done with a fence to one side, but who's got time for that?
I'm less worried about tham than I am about space.
I don't know what "goofy 'cut-flat' - crown mouldings" are.
Robatoy wrote:

I have this system (8' left, 4' right). I first bought only the left side and found that I do cuts almost as much from the right as I do from the left. Plus, when cutting something long, the right sections helps support the cutoff piece.
But you're right, it's not absolutely necessary...
-m
Wow. That's almost 14 feet of length. My shop simply isn't big enough. Right now I lift the miter saw onto one of those metal stands and take the whole thing outside. It means, I have trouble in the winter.
I should be looking for a new house with a gigantic workshop! Let's see, what were the lotto numbers?
Why look for a new shop. Might as well just build what you want. I added a 30'x25' addition to my garage and now I have a dedicated woodworking shop. The best part, I don't have to leave the cars outside anymore.
Jack

I live in a neighboorhood with postage stamp sized lots. There's no room to expand. If there was room, I doubt the Homeowners Association (HOA) would approve.....