Jig to keep work square and plumb

I'm making Jake chairs and thought it would be easier to make some sort of jig to start the assembly. The first step is to align the two long seat braces parallel to each other, plumb, and not ricked. The last time, it took me about 15 minutes to get it right. Is there some type of jig I could construct out of scrap wood that would simplify the process?

Reply to
rile

Absolutely! Decide what will work best and build it.

Reply to
Battleax

On 5 Sep 2005 20:16:08 -0700, the blithe spirit "rile" clearly indicated:

Nexxxxxxxxxxxxxxt!

------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! -------------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm reminded of my college professor who said that the more he was around people, the more he liked his dog.

Reply to
rile

Rile:

Take the above with a grain of salt. You got to be "tough" in this newsgroup at times.

Anyways, what people were saying is: every jig is the "mother of invention" in that, what you build is going to be specific to your task at hand.

I don't know what a "Jake" chair is, so I can't help specifically, I have seen jigs made out of MDF that hold pieces in specific orientation to help the glueup. You might want to look at jig books. I think Popular Woodworking has one or more titles out that might help. Also you might want to see what other chairmakers have done Do a "google" and see what pops up.

Good luck.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjwallace

Mon, Sep 5, 2005, 8:16pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (rile) woefully wonders: I'm making Jake chairs Is there some type of jig I could construct out of scrap wood that would simplify the process?

Sure. Simple enough, I often make assembly jigs for my projects. But, damn all if I can explain how, because they're all different. I'd say you're on your own.

JOAT Plans? Plans? Don' need no steenkin' plans.

Reply to
J T