Mission Style Mantel and TV Wall Project

Page 2 of 2
On 3/21/2010 8:02 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I don't think so ... all the rednecks in E Texas drank it up years ago.
But I do know a certain tract of land that probably has a large magnetic footprint from buried Pearl cans. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

I'm convinced the was just one brewery that supplied the entire country.
Depending on geography, names like "Pearl", "Falstaff", and that great French beer, "Goebel" (Pronounced Jo-Bell) were the labels on the cans containing the stale goat urine produced by that one brewery.
But what the heck, when you are young and resource limited, any port in a storm.
Lew
On 3/21/2010 8:19 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Wasn't Pearl brewed from rice? IIRC, there was a slogan, something on the order of" "20,000 rednecks couldn't be wrong!" ... or was that doctors?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

About the only thing I remember about Pearl was that it was LOW COST and it was wet.
After that, all bets are off.
Lew

It was good enough for Hud!
Dave in Houston
"Swingman" wrote:

Remember those "squatty body" glass throw away bottles.
Remember back in the late '70s when an Aussie bought out G Heilman in Milwaukee.
He then went shopping and bought up a bunch of small breweries to get their labels.
Closed many of the breweries and moved production to just a few.
Had an associate whose uncle was a brewmaster at one of the remaining operating breweries who told him about not knowing what labels would be put on the bottles that day, but it was always the same beer.
Lew

Budweiser is brewed from rice. I thought it was the only one (in the US).
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 18:19:31 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Ayup. I downed enough Lucky Lager in me yout to sink most of the ships you've worked on all your life, ah reckon.
And I have a 1 cu/ft bag of bottle caps to prove it. (Maybe the last tenth of a percent of the caps I offed.)
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:06:35 -0500, the infamous Swingman

At the price of steel today, you might do well to go reclaim it, Swingy.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:15:13 -0500, the infamous Swingman

It's right up there with your velvet Dogs Playing Poster, is it?
<spew>
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:05:52 -0500, the infamous Swingman

Do you even try to talk them out of the worst clashes? (so you could at least add a picture of it to your portfolio)
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:35:41 -0700, the infamous Evodawg

Oh, good. I really like the style, an organic Mission, like someone threw a pinch of Art Nouveau into the mix.

You're probably talking about the actual color. If you were talking "red", I can't recall having seen that in any style. Mission stuff was golden or darker browns, mostly.

I guess that since there is no Hippocratic Oath in the wooddorking industry, stain and poly were inevitable. But it doesn't mean we have to like it, or do it on our own. As far as a contract piece, the customer loving it is great, but keep your rep in mind, too. If a customer wants something ghastly, consider it heavily before doing it for him. It could be around to haunt you for a long time.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
"Larry Jaques" wrote

market.
On Mar 22, 11:16am, "Lee Michaels"

*slowly raises hand* . . . *looks around* . . . . . "what? What? WHAT??"

*slowly raises hand* . *looks around* . "what? What? WHAT??" ================== Hey, the customer is always right!
<cough, cough>

Well, only until he's left!
*snicker*
On 03/22/2010 12:34 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Didn't you hate raising your hand in class when you were the only one?
"All right class, who DIDN'T finish the homework assignment I gave you last Friday?"
--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.
To reply, eat the taco.

That's not woodworking, that's <kaff, kaff> "art".
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Very nice!