Mission Style Mantel and TV Wall Project

Just got around to taking pictures of a customers job I finished a month ago. You guys helped me on some staining questions of the mantel and I said I would post pictures of it when completed. The link below will get you to a few pictures of the project including the mantel. Comments and questions welcome. Rich

Evodawg

I absolutely love the wooden arch mirroring the top arc of the fireplace screen. Brilliant design touch!

This is worthy of a mention in FWW ... magnificient.

Just showed it to SWMBO, who does the interior design for the houses I build. She loves it also.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
-MIKE-

Very NICE! Nice touch mirroring the shape of the fireplace opening and or screen.

Reply to
Leon

Agreed - the mantle is beautiful! Reworking the generic white painted MDF crapola mantle in our recently purchased Austin-area home is on my long list of to-dos; I think I just got some new-found inspiration to bump up the priority of the mantle on my list... VERY nice work.

Reply to
Steve Turner

- What techniques did you use to make the crown/cove, or was it bought? I love how sharp it gets.

- How did you decide on the angle of the two inner stiles on the upper panels. They are attractive... I'm just curious if it was completely improvised or was there a method to the madness.

- In the arched rail, I can't tell if those perpendicular lines are grain or inflections. Is the rail veneer, cut from a really wide board, or (gasp!) steam bent?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reply to
Phisherman

Crown was bought, trim piece at top was rounded over and top 3/4 was set inside the trim.

At first I was going to use straight vertical pieces but for grins I turned them a bit and liked the look.

Cut from a wide board. Think I made at least 10 drawings then a cardboard template, finally permanent template. I had to make 2 final pieces. The back one is 2 pieces glued together. I took my time looking for the front piece. The Hardwood supplier got pissed because I made a mess of his stack. If you look close it has lots of tiger stripes in it. I told the customer to get a brass gas valve cover plate but never has. I think the chrome one looks ghetto.

Reply to
Evodawg

Thanks, Customer wanted it that way. He and she gets all the credit for that. They had the screen already and the thing weighs a ton!

Reply to
Evodawg

Beautiful. Definitely looks better than vertical *and* better than perpendicular to the curve. It's almost always better to just go with what looks good to the eyes.

After about the third purchase involving someone giving me a hard time for picking, when the owner decided to put in his 2 cents about me "messing up the stacks," I finally told the guy straight up, "Look man, with all due respect, first of any pile I pick through is going to look better when I'm done, than it did when I started. And secondly, I'm either picking the lumber I buy from you, or I'm picking what I buy somewhere else. You can choose."

Even brass plated would look better. :-) I vote for patinated bronze.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:27:41 -0700, the infamous Evodawg scrawled the following:

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks, that's the finish the customer picked. Camera is probably showing a little more red then reality. But that's what they wanted and it does go along with the mission style in California. Customer loves it, so that's all that counts, right????

Reply to
Evodawg

You bet! My mantra ... I just build'em, the customer colors them.

Some of my gorgeous kitchens have been ruined, in my mind, by the client's color/counter top choices, but what the hell, it's not our call.

Reply to
Swingman

Not to mention you can get in real trouble offering to much input. You have to know when enough is enough. Also I try to limit choices, it just confuses them with to many and then the stall is on. I have also had customers ask me to make the choice because they have been told they have no taste. That even makes me more uncomfortable. If it all goes wrong it's YOUR fault!!!!

I know what I like and I know my taste. I don't know my customers unless I have worked with them before. Customers either know or have no clue!!! The ideal situation is your tastes are the same, which ideally never happens.

Reply to
Evodawg

"Swingman" wrote

Damn, since you are color blind, it would have to be extraordinarily ugly to achieve the "ruined" status. Some people just have no class.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Hey, Bubba ... just because I'm color blind doesn't mean I think a barber pole is a tasteful decorative touch!

Now, my black velvet Elvis ... that's something else altogether!

;)

Reply to
Swingman

I hope you have it in a display case under UV light.

Reply to
krw

Right under the flashing neon "Pearl Beer" bar sign over the bathroom door, by gawd! :)

Reply to
Swingman

---------------------------- Damn you are reaching back

That stuff still available?