Minor Gloat? You tell me

I'm passing through the local Wal-Mart and toward the front of the store they always have close-out items in shopping carts with severely discounted prices on them. I'm sort of looking when I see a Black & Decker 14.4 Cordless drill, 85th anniversary edition. Hmmmm.......Original price was $95 (as seen under the discount sticker) and they've got it marked down to $50. So I'm thinking, hmmm....maybe, I could use an extra drill just for drilling, and use my DeWalt 18V for driving screws.
Then I catch the price on the front of the basket - $35. So in the cart it goes, I figure no matter how crappy it is, it's gotta be worth $35, hell it's made out of aluminum (even comes with a polishing cloth).
So is this a good gloat? Are the B&D tools worth anything now a days? My dad still has a B&D drill which he bought 40 years ago and still works fine. Just wondering what the opinion of the group is.
Thanks
Mike Rinken
SNIP

Not a bad gloat :) I don't own one myself but one of my review team has compiled a review on that particular product you may like to take a look at: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/blackanddecker-rd1440.htm
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels - Kwikstand Portable Table Saw Stand - Woodworking Techniques & Projects - Kreg Right Angle Clamp - Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw ------------------------------------------------------------
Woody wrote:

The one thing I didn't like was the drill doesn't stand upright on the battery when you set it down. It tips forward. It's really not that bad, but I'm used to just setting my DeWalt down, then picking it right back up from the upright position.
I've got some cabinet work to do this weekend, so I'll put it through the paces.
thanks.
Mike
Creamy Goodness wrote:

I quit buying B&D several years ago cause they would not hold up for me. These days I don't have money to experiment so I buy what works - Dewalt. Even so, I burn out an a/c powered, geared head screw driver every 2 or 3 years....
Creamy Goodness wrote:

BTW - I've been a troll here for years, rarely post, but what the hell is up with all the crap lately! I realized my "handle" might not be popular given some of the subjects on the NG lately, but I play several on-line games and my on-line name has always been Creamy Goodness.
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:18:29 -0600, "Creamy Goodness"

I think you meant "lurker," as I've never seen a troll identify himself as such.
Jamie
Is your shop under a bridge somewhere? Tony Castratta

I will say you have a gloat. Maybe not a Unisaw for $7 or something like that but a gloat. I bought a B&D 12V for 3 years ago used and cannot destroy it. I have built my garage and used the drill to hang MDO on the walls and ceiling. The kit I got was the one with the Jigsaw and sander. Both useless. I did get two batteries. I now have a 18V DeWalt but still go to the B&D at times. I drill with the B&D. I also use it as a loaner to my son-in-law.
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:00:58 -0600, "Creamy Goodness"