Mini Gloat - maybe

I was surfing thru the stack of over-priced maple boards at HD and found a ten foot 2X6 of beatiful curly maple. It's in my wood rack now. Cost $25. Did I pay too much?

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.
All depends; if it was really 2x6 then you got an excellent buy; assuming you can find a use for 2" stock.
If it was 3/4" then it was mediocre.

I'll bet it was S4S 3/4" 2x6 since that's what every HD I've been in carries. If it was *really* curly, then its gloatable I guess.
I'd call it a neener, unless it was in the cull rack for $.59, then it would be a gloat.

$250/bf if it was 2x6 is $2.50/bf and for curly maple that's pretty good. Out here in Silly Cone Valley, even if it was 1x6 it would only be $5/bf which is still good. That stuff goes for between $10 and $20/bf out here if it's got any figure at all.
charlie b

That's awful. Curly maple is only about $4 a bf here. I'm never moving to California!

Prometheus responds:

Remembe, that's the area where they're getting $1.7 million for a $200K house.
Charlie Self "There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up." Booker T. Washington

you're picking through the wrong stacks, friend...
Patriarch
On 18 Oct 2004 17:41:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comremove (SteveC1280) wrote:

That comes out to $2.50 a bf, if I'm correct (and, somehow I rarely am when figuring bf., equation or no) which is a darn good price for any 8/4 maple, and really sweet for figured wood. I imagine it's S4S, too, if it's dimentional like that, so I'd say you got a great deal.

What HD carries 8/4 maple?
scott
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:45:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

Dunno. John Menard won't let them build one here, so I can't check without a real long drive.

I'm just a customer here..... but check this out. NICE wood! eBay Store - BELL FOREST PRODUCTS: Turning Stock, Birdseye Maple Lumber, and Curly Tiger Maple Lumber Address:http://stores.ebay.com/BELL-FOREST-PRODUCTS

They seem to be reasonable about shipping. That's good. Nice stock but poor photography. Alex

2"x6"x10'/12 board feet. In my town I can get 8/4 stock @ $6.40 and 4/4 @ $5.70 per BF so, "OH YES" you did get a good damn deal. That's $2.50 a BF you paid. Our maple is soft "hard rock" basic stuff here on the west coast.
So, in essence, to me at least, you suck.
Alex