Mini Gloat - maybe

I was surfing thru the stack of over-priced maple boards at HD and found a ten foot 2X6 of beatiful curly maple. It's in my wood rack now. Cost $25. Did I pay too much?

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

All depends; if it was really 2x6 then you got an excellent buy; assuming you can find a use for 2" stock.

If it was 3/4" then it was mediocre.

Reply to
toller

I'll bet it was S4S 3/4" 2x6 since that's what every HD I've been in carries. If it was *really* curly, then its gloatable I guess.

Reply to
patrick conroy

I'd call it a neener, unless it was in the cull rack for $.59, then it would be a gloat.

Reply to
Gary W

$250/bf if it was 2x6 is $2.50/bf and for curly maple that's pretty good. Out here in Silly Cone Valley, even if it was 1x6 it would only be $5/bf which is still good. That stuff goes for between $10 and $20/bf out here if it's got any figure at all.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

That comes out to $2.50 a bf, if I'm correct (and, somehow I rarely am when figuring bf., equation or no) which is a darn good price for any

8/4 maple, and really sweet for figured wood. I imagine it's S4S, too, if it's dimentional like that, so I'd say you got a great deal.
Reply to
Prometheus

That's awful. Curly maple is only about $4 a bf here. I'm never moving to California!

Reply to
Prometheus

What HD carries 8/4 maple?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I'm just a customer here..... but check this out. NICE wood! eBay Store - BELL FOREST PRODUCTS: Turning Stock, Birdseye Maple Lumber, and Curly Tiger Maple Lumber Address:

Nortwoods

charlie b wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com:

you're picking through the wrong stacks, friend...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

2"x6"x10'/12=10 board feet. In my town I can get 8/4 stock @ $6.40 and 4/4 @ $5.70 per BF so, "OH YES" you did get a good damn deal. That's $2.50 a BF you paid. Our maple is soft "hard rock" basic stuff here on the west coast.

So, in essence, to me at least, you suck.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

photography. Alex

Reply to
AAvK

Prometheus responds:

Remembe, that's the area where they're getting $1.7 million for a $200K house.

Charlie Self "There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up." Booker T. Washington

Reply to
Charlie Self

Dunno. John Menard won't let them build one here, so I can't check without a real long drive.

Reply to
Prometheus