MDF Shortage?

Page 3 of 3

Pollution in general, or carbon pollution specifically? It makes a difference.

A *lot* less. Figure somewhere around 6 lb per gallon.

Depends on what's being measured. Carbon, no. Carbon DIOXIDE, nearly. Total combustion products, probably.
Principal component of jet fuel is n-octane, C8H16 (molecular weight 112). Complete combustion of same: C8H16 + 24O2 -> 8CO2 + 8H2O. Molecular weight of CO2 is 44, and there are eight of them (352 total, or almost 3x the weight of the fuel).
Molecular weight of H2O is 18 (144 total). Thus, mass of combustion products is 352 + 144 = 496, which is about 4.5x the mass of the fuel.
Considering that high-temperature combustion in air also produces some NO2 and NO3, it's likely that the total mass of all combustion products probably really is close to five times the weight of the fuel. Of course, more than a third of that is water vapor (read: cirrus clouds), and it takes a special kind of mind to regard clouds as pollution.
--
Regards,
✖

Carbon Specifically.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and used the weight of water. I knew jet fuel was lighter.

Carbon, "not" Carbon Dioxide
Again, they tell you what will benefit their cause the most, correct or not correct.
Add pictures here
✖

In that case... they're either liars, or idiots, or both.

They're probably considering carbon dioxide to be "carbon pollution".

Agreed. Only questions in my mind are whether they know their figures are wrong, or not -- and whether they care. My point was simply to illustrate that the mass of the pollution generated can indeed be considerably greater than the mass of the fuel being burned, because it combines with a huge amount of atmospheric oxygen.
--
Regards,
✖
On Jan 17, 10:04 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!!!! (He's at it again!!!!)
Add pictures here
✖
Doug Miller wrote:

Or CO2 as eliminating it from the atmosphere would also eliminate all life as we know it from the planet.
Add pictures here
✖