shortage of honey bees?

My new cherry tree NW of Baltimore didn't seem to have many bugs fertilizing it. Just 4 when I looked, two honey bees and two other things about half as big and all black.

Is this because of the deaths of so many honey bees?

What were these other things?

I'm not sure they were even big enough to do the accidental fertilizing that honey bees do.

Do you think this will cause a shortage of fruit on the tree? It had loads of flowers,

If there isn't much fruit, how do I fertilize the flowers myself next year? A brush? A toothbrush?

Reply to
micky

Hi, Yes. Canada is one of major honey producer in the world. Our store always have stock of raw organic honey but as of December supply ran out. Last year honey harvest was very poor due to weather. During last harsh long winter many bee hives fell victims. Well, this week-end we had spring snow storm. Today it is drizzling. Almost freezing.... Bad.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

micky,

What sort of cherries? Are there other cherry trees in the neighborhood? Sour cherries can often self-pollinate but many sweet cherries require pollen from other trees.

Could be.

How would we know?

How would we know?

A simple web-search will tell you how to pollinate your tree. Don't let your neighbors know that you are having sex with your tree.

It's likely that your county has an ag extension agency with all of the answers about cherry trees in your county. The U of M. runs the ag etension program in your State. Give them a call. Ask for the Master Gardener.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Hi, Fertilizing? You mean pollinating, right? Yes, honey bees have problem with some kinda bug world wide. They are dying off. Canada being one of big honey producers my supplier of raw honey had bad harvest last couple of years raising price. I heard hives in New Foundland is still very healthy.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Others swear its a cumalitive effect of Bayer's neonicotinoids (synthetic nicotine). Of course, Bayer claims otherwise.

It's pretty much like big ag and big pharma (read big chemical) are gonna poison the entire World. No biggie. The Human race is overdue for an extinction event so Mother Nature can get back in the drivers seat. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

On 23 Nov 2014 17:26:32 GMT, notbob wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

Sure, blame persticides while the scientists studying the problem still don't know what the cause is. Maybe you want to go join Al and the rioters in Ferguson too. Maybe we should get rid of all pesticides and let millions starve.

Reply to
trader_4