Care of cherry tree

We've a morello cherry that we planted in the ground in March/ April, which happily fruited earlier in the year. But I have no clue how to care for it.

It's probably a 2-3 yr old, I think. I pruned it after harvest. Now the frosts are starting (last night - light air frost) how should I protect it? It's sheltered but away from the house. Should I fleece it? If so, how (loosely? branches/ trunk/ ground? anyone any pictures?) I am pretty much as novice as can be with gardening.

And how about greasing? I read this somewhere but don't really know what to do.

We're in Norfolk, btw.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Reply to
gds

What's fleecing? I think a layer of cow manure followed by a thick layer of compost should help keep the ground temperatures near the tree more uniform. Don't put the compost right up to the trunk. Also a plastic tree protector will help keep the critters from munching on it over the winter and protect the trunk from the strong winter sun. This advice probably holds for many varieties and kinds of trees. Make sure you give the area around the tree a good soaking before the ground freezes.

If so,

Where do you come up with these terms? I only grease my car.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

A grease band is put round a tree trunk to stop caterpillars climbing up the tree trunk to infect the blosom [ young fruit ]. All it is is apiece of cloth smothered in grease and put round the tree trunk. hope this helps you.

Richard M. watkin.

Reply to
R M Watkin

I do similar things, but never knew it had a name. Actually, I use something called Tanglefoot sold here in the USA. It is a clear gel that is extremely sticky. I used it to keep ants from herding aphids up my apple trees. Some people don't like the discoloring of the bark so they first wrap the trunk with some material and coat that instead.

I guess by fleecing, you mean wraping it up. Unlike evergreens who could be damaged by wind burn, I think the upper part of this cherry tree can take this kind of weather.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren

That is a greaseband, but in the U. K. it is made from scratch.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M Watkin