Making Frames

I am 16 and I would like to learn how to make frames for my paintings, any suggestions about wood and tools I might need. I like red woods maybe some one who has done this before could help me?
As far as wood is concerned, it will be your choice.
Regarding the tools, it depends a lot. If you buy rough wood, you will need a jointer and a planer. Then a table saw will rip it to the desired width. The table saw can also be used with jigs to cut perfect miters. You will certainly appreciate a router to create some profiled edges and other "decorations". If your frames are really large, maybe a biscuit joiner will help you out. Depending on the style of your frames maybe you will like to do some carving so here you are with future purchases of chisels!
Unless you're planning on making hundreds of frames, you're probably better off giving the jointing/planing part of the work to a woodworking shop for a minimal fee. It might not be cost effective to buy such machinery.
And I almost forgot... You will also need a few clamps. There are even some evil spirits here who will suggest some red clamps... If they do, let me tell you they're right! ;)
Wally
You probably want to just buy the molding already shaped or just use flat wood. Then use something like this saw. http://www.clubframeco.com/picture_frame_cutting.html#saw
You can see lots of other info at that same website http://www.clubframeco.com /

Have a shop at school? Best place to work.
Cut your miter with as many teeth in your saw as possible, clamp all four corners at once with threaded rod/corner and band/wedged clamping jig.
It's not hard, just expensive to buy premade moldings. Router table will make pretty much anything you need.

http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Picture%20Frame%20Clamp%20copy/picture_frame_clamp.htm
http://www.sawdustmaking.com/Easy%20Picture%20Frames/frames.htm clamping jig will make it much easier. Buy your moulding premade or experiment modifying existing mouldings from the local lumberyard.
Lenny
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Here's a web site that gives basic instructions for making frames.
http://www.knottyplans.com/index.php?page 0421
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone will still see this thread, but I wanted to let you guys know that I just finished creating a complete tutorial on the entire process of building custom picture frames from scratch, including the glazing, mounting, and matting.
Please take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements, or if you find it useful:
http://kombat.org/FrameMaking/index.html
Kevin.