making a planer stand

A few years ago Norm made a nice basic stand with splayed legs. Does anyone know what angles to use for the legs and stretchers when they are to be splayed?
mark wrote:

I like 10 degrees.
Lew

it's better than Norm's. I have never gotten any snipe using it.

what is our wood magazine?
mark wrote:

I'll bite... :)
What does the stand it's sitting on have to do with whether the planer snipes or not?
dpb wrote:

At least some stands have in/outfeed tables that can be tilted slightly so that the stock enters/exits the planer at a slight angle relative to horizontal. This counteracts the tendency to snipe.
Chris

So if the legs are splayed 10 degree then what angle should the legs be ripped at, they should not be square but more of a paralellogram when viewed end on and then would the feet be mitered and beveled at 10 as well?
mark wrote:
> > So if the legs are splayed 10 degree then what angle should the legs > be ripped at, they should not be square but more of a paralellogram > when viewed end on and then would the feet be mitered and beveled at > 10 as well? >
10 degrees fore and aft, 10 degrees side to side.
Lew

10 degrees as well unless your floor is not level and you are wanting to compensate for that as too.
Wed, Feb 21, 2007, 10:51am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@islandtelecom.com (mark) doth query: A few years ago Norm made a nice basic stand with splayed legs. Does anyone know what angles to use for the legs and stretchers when they are to be splayed?
I didn't use plans when I made mine. I just used two pieces of plywood for the sides, tied together with a "box" at the bottom (to hold spare blades, etc.), and a piece of plywood on top - all glue fastening. Very steady, no problems, planer is bolted down. However, I did make it short enough to use while sitting - bad back and can't take standing long using it. I never make stuff like that from plans.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small

I don't know anything about the angles for the planer stand, but I built a wheeled cart (24" deep x 48" wide) and have my planer bolted to one end of that. My benchtop drill press is mounted on the other end. I added a couple of drawers underneath to keep my drill bits and accessories, and sanding supplies in the second one. I store miscellanous items in the space under the drawers.
Since the cart is on wheels I can easily roll it out when I need it, and store it up against a wall when I'm not. Works great!
Anthony