Making a box joint jig

Page 1 of 4
I made and tried out my lap joint jig this afternoon and it worked every bit as well as I'd hoped. :)
That drawing for that is still at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/LapJigHowTo.jpg
and when I have a bit of time I'll turn it into a web page...
Encouraged by that, I wondered what other jigs might be built using only the blade kerf width as a measurement. I finally decided that if one kerf width (as in the lap joint jig) was good, two might also be interesting. First thought was a box joint jig, so I did a bit more doodling and came up with this method
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/BoxJigHowTo.jpg
This drawing should be reasonably self-explanitory, but I'm already planning to turn it into a web page with a bit of text to provide a bit of explanation with each drawing.
Enjoy!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I am really looking forward to the dumb ass explanation of how to make these and how to use them. I know it SHOULD be self explanatory ...
--
Best regards
Han
"Han" wrote:

The easiest box joint jig I've seen to bulid and use is the one in Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.
Lew

I asked Angela to wrap one up for me for Christmas last year after you had mentioned that book about 623 times <G> Very good, down-to-earth compilation of all kinds of nifty tips and tricks. None of this "and now a couple of passes through the TimeSaver..." bullshit. A book where Neanderthal and power-tools meet. A very good recommendation, Lew. Thanks for that.
(Are you sure Fred Bingham isn't your nom-de-plume?) <G>
"Robatoy" wrote:
(Are you sure Fred Bingham isn't your nom-de-plume?)
If he is still alive, he has got to be at least 100.
He was working in a boat shop in the 30's.
Lew
Robatoy wrote:

Some things never change:
<Welcome!>
Read the FAQ ... mainly so that you will know what a "SWMBO", the various classifications of a "gloat", "jummywood", and "neener" is/are without asking. Be sure to learn the more up-to-date, modern spelling of "Craftsman" ... and how to use Google. Make certain that if you use something besides a Beismeyer or Unifence, you don't mention it. Learning the 99 NEC by heart is not mandatory, but helpful. Know that Leon is gruff, but knowledgeable, Charlie S is both friendly and knowledgeable, Doug W actually does know the NEC by heart, Larry J. is funny ...most of the time, Jon, while he sometimes thinks he's Nahm, is smart enough to use LoneStar Beer in his chili, Walt A. confesses to doing quirky things with wood, but is a helluva storyteller; Lew H. obviously owns stock in a book about yacht joinery, Steve K makes the best planes since Bailey, Eric M plays "Cabinetman" on TV, 'Mark and Juanita' really know their stuff ...but we suspect Mark is just the mouthpiece, and if you are female and young, or have a daughter who is, keep an eagle eye on Apeman at all times. Above all, feel free to initiate weekly political/sociological discussion topics that have absolutely nothing to do with woodworking whenever the whim strikes you, with or without the obligatory "OT" in the subject line.
--
http://www.wood-workers.com/users/swingman /
Last update: 5/20/02
Swingman said:

Hey, Swing, The link you posted, like so many old links, has been transformed into one of those wretched fake sites full of advertising. Perhaps you could host the original text now that it's defunct. Or Morris, or me.
"Wood-Workers.com is for sale. The owner of the domain has it listed for sale for $35,100."
Ha! Like that's ever gonna happen.
"The registrant of record is now: RareNames, WebReg 738 Main Street, #389 Waltham, MA 02451 US"
Para-sites, Inc.
Several names on that list I haven't seen in years. Apeman for one. And BTW, what happened to JOAT?
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

IRRC correctly, the wooddorking gods told him that webTV was giving them a bad name!! :)
(I think he got tired of the political BS and noobs taking exception to his cranky ass.)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman said:

OK - as long as there are pukey ducks and yellow HF tools somewhere in the universe, all is well I suppose. The "inspirational plans" posts were sometimes a hoot. His WebTV box probably became dysfunctional and he refused to upgrade to a P2/450 w Win95. Since it seemed to be old home week I thought I'd ask. Thanks.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

That's cuz it was part of the original post I made and left in as a date reference ... some things do change. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman said:

OK - I'm getting more stoopid as I age. I thought you were pointing readers to the original text for even more enlightenment. Sorry. As for change... not often for the better.
Greg G.
I'm just a lurker but I learned quick about electrical advice. I hold a master electricians license and 40 years on the job. Learned real quick to keep quiet.
Mike M

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:42:20 -0800, the infamous Mike M

Was that for liability purposes or due to the massive amounts of incoming flak from the heavily opinionated (and highly wrong) wannabes out there, Mike? ("I didn't have any solder so I used chewing gum.")
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
An inspector once said arguing with the electrical inspecter is like wrestling with pigs. Eventually you'll figure out they enjoy wallowing in the mud.
Mike M
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:40:05 -0800, Larry Jaques

scrawled the following:

Ditto that. 'Splain, Mo!
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

*slowly raising my hand and looking around me feeling a bit awkward*..."I don't quite get it either?
Robatoy wrote:

IIRC, I believe it was in response to this, which should give you an idea of how the original is used and make the light bulb pop on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6_S6lZKLI

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

The pull-down string on my mental pull-down menu had become temporarily unattached. All better now. (I was looking for complexity, didn't find any. Felt cheated.)
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:10:57 -0600, the infamous Swingman

I don't see any connection to the KerfMaker in either one of Morris' funkyarse tool drawings. They're more like koans than anything, kwim,V?
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
Robatoy said:

I think Morris is playing around with "kerf width" jigs. Parts A(x) are used solely as kerf width "standards" to set the distance of the pin registration hole of the jig.
I could be misunderestimating the jig, but it seems like it would produce rather small pins for a box joint. Seeing as how I can throw together a 1/2" or 3/4" box jig in a few minutes using a dado blade, a couple of scrap oak parts, and the mitre gauge, this seems to primarily be an exercise in "doing it my way." Or I could be absolutely, positively wrong and he has found Nirvana! ;-)
Greg G.