Making a box joint jig

I made a typo in the last sentence, was supposed to be demented, not determined. (ducking)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

You tube .......... okaaaay .......... it's a cat ......... catfood ........... watching video .......musta missed it ......... watch it again ....... nope ........ WTF did he post that fo......... oh. I see. Got me you mongrel ; )

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Not for me Morris. Not by a long shot. I like your stuff as a rule and value your contributions here and elsewhere. But I could not make heads nor tails (no pun intended) out of those "drawings."

PS: The workbench is coming along. Had some scrap particle board with that plastic finish on one side (salvaged store display) for the first layer of the top. Then a Ping Pong table (old, aged 5' x 9' plywood) came along ($4 Habitat Re-Store) for the second layer - and, soon, another use for that Masonite "find" - a sacrificial top surface. Although, the current ping pong-green top with a white edge is interesting!

Alas, I am still scouting ideas for a fence arrangement that will work for the Miter Saw and the RAS. Like to do something "elegantly functional" with, of course, scrap or salvaged / re-cycled something or another.

Lemme know when you do do the web page you do do so well.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Ok - there's a (rough draft) web page at

can't help feeling that people are looking (insisting?) on a lot more complexity than there really is.

The whole point of the jig is spelled out in the paragraph just above Fig. 7 - but please start at the top and work your way down to that point.

If anyone gets lost, please let me know _where_ the page stopped making sense.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey wrote in news:hdr2hf$opa$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Now it makes sense. It is indeed simplicity itself!

Reply to
Han

I just _knew_ that if I made the pictures bigger it'd be easier to understand! ;-)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:29:13 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Better. Need more info. Consider 3-D drawings for clarity, eh?

Now reference the friggin' fence or crosscut sled, please. It's supposed to be at the bottom of the pic, right? (Your whole op is done in mid-air as shown.) Maybe some elevation pics would help, too.

Sample piece: 1", 9", or 48' x ? Rereading it, is the sample piece supposed to be the width of the final joint?

You say "Rotate the jig 180 degrees." Oh, so piece 'C' is the entire jig? OK. Maybe show the jig at the top of the page and then describe how it's made and how it's used?

Reference to normal blade crosscut height and stock height is confusing.

Also, WTF is a "lap joint" to you?

Show sample output from this jig on the page, please.

Wait, is the area between the pink kerf/blade and the red kerf/blade supposed to be a half-lap cutout? We're looking down onto the tablesaw top from above, right?

P.S: I'm a guy who, usually, can take one look at a complex exploded drawing and know both what the item does and easily figure out how to build one for myself. Spatial relationships are no problem for me. I can't seem to do that/figure those from any of your drawings, Morris.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dear Larry, I can see your education has been sadly neglected, so I will attempt to explain the concept. A "lap joint" is a venue where men can congregate and experience lap dancing. A lap dance is a type of erotic dance performed in some gentleman's clubs in which the patron is seated, and the dancer is either in immediate contact with the patron, or within a very short distance. Hope this clears up your confusion. : )

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Speak for yourself.

Reply to
Robatoy

Eh? It's a 2-D problem with a 2-D solution. :-P

There's a lot of stuff in my shop that's "up in the air". Why should this be any different?

Yup (I think you're catching on!)

Right under Figure 5 I wrote: "Block C is your new lap joint jig."

C'mon, Larry, that's like starting a joke with the punch line - but just for you, I'll shoot a picture and put it at the top of the page.

I don't talk good, too. Suggested wording?

I like diggerop's definition. :)

Ok - I'll shoot the jig and the output _together_ and put /that/ at the top of the page.

That's the viewpoint for all of the drawings, yes.

I can (sorta) grasp where you're coming from - but with /this/ gizmo there's nothing complex to explode and the only dimension that has any significance at all is the width of the kerf.

Yeah, me too. I've zapped the small drawings of both lap and box joint jigs. My intent was to show how simple they can be, but instead only added to the general confusion. My apologies to all.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Photo of jig and joint added.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Would that be with a 12 gauge or a .357? :-o Add a watermelon shot and post it to YouTube.

Don't mind them, I got the idea, but I did have to study it a moment. I discovered long ago that a photo or 3D rendering works wonders when presenting ANY idea to "management." Almost all drawings I do are in

3D with isometric views available. It takes very little additional time these days and helps tremendously during the planning stages as well - especially as complexity increases. (Yeah, I know - it was a quick and simple concept.)

It's just not a 2D world anymore. We're likely dinosaurs from the flat earth era. :)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Morris,

Build the jig, send it and a video to Larry. LOL..

Sorry Larry but this is getting funny.

Reply to
Leon

Morris Dovey wrote in news:hdrn4b$k2v$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

I love you Morris!!! (do you see X-faces?)

Reply to
Han

Maybe - I just installed the add-on, now I need to figure out how to turn jpg files into png files.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

With an image editor, of course. If you have a JPG posted online I'll convert it for you and post if need be.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Thanks! I have a 48x48 jpg image at

from Morris.jpg in the same directory)

My ancient PaintShop Pro doesn't understand png files :(

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Morris

Stephen Quinn

Oops! Wrong file - make that

Morris Dovey

Shrank my avatar to 48x48 and monochrome, now need to tinker a bit to shrink that without making it all grainy. Fun.

Thanks!

Reply to
Morris Dovey