Making a box joint jig

If you're using Windows XP, then you already have the means. Open an image using Windows picture and fax viewer, click on the 'save' icon, select 'save as type', pick png and save it wherever you want. A new image is made and the old one isn't changed in any way.

Actually, you should save all initial images in some format other than jpg since they use a 'lossy' format. Every time you save a jpg image, it loses a fraction of its sharpness. Use jpg only if you're sure there won't be any more editing of an image.

Reply to
upscale

Morris

Get the plugins as well, if you haven't already.

Reply to
Stephen Quinn

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:20:35 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Well, maybe to Gnu Yawkuhs...

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:45:45 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

Oh, I'm well aware of those places, Dop. But that wasn't the sort of reference Mo was drawing. (The kerfs were way too narrow for the type of ladies who hang out in lap joints, kwim,V?)

Mo gave pics. Where are -your-reference photos, sir?

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 07:26:27 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Robatoy's braggin' _again_? His mama never gave him no toys.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Morris, you don't need to install anything ~ not unless you want to edit the images in some way (and that includes size). Most modern image viewing programs have the ability to save images in some other format, like png.

Reply to
upscale

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:26:10 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

2 Points, sir.

Don't talk "well", ya silly savage. Oh, just redo the entire page, will ya, and add dims for the blocks you cut and reference them in the pics. It removes any obfuscation. A "C" showing on the one pic and an upside down "C" showing on the rotated jig would be illustratorily effusive as well. (Just try to find -that- one in a dict!)

Their kerfs are larger than your kerfs.

Label which is which, too, OK?

No, you don't quite grasp it. I can savvy the complex stuff but yours is _too_ simple. Because you left out any references and showed 'em only in 2 dims, what could be an elevation could also be an overhead perspective. There's no way to tell.

50 lashes with a long, limp, wet Robatoy noodle for you!

I'd have spent more time with you on this tonight but my muscles are so sore I'm going to bed. Squatting 8 hours a day doing this client's

17" tall deck is killing my thigh muskuls sumpin' fierce. Thank God it's going to be _raining_ for the next 3 days...My ibuprofen has met its match.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:51:49 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Huh, all I see is some Christian symbol and an upside down, poorly formed L.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 15:42:45 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Don't forget the printed, full color 'splain with it, eh?

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I wasn't aware of that, but do keep the originals of both photos and drawings - a Very Good Thing in light of this information!

Now I'm planning to revisit my camera instruction book to see what non-jpeg formats it offers...

Very good to know - thank you.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

You're welcome. Just a little bit more information. jpg is good for saving images since it compresses them to a very small, but still viewable size. That's about its only use. The act of uncompressing a jpg (behind the scenes act) for editing is what slightly damages the image and then you're stuck with that slight segregation when you resave it.

If you compare a jpg to the same png image, you'll see that the png is quite a bit larger. But then, the png can be safely edited without any image loss, not so with the jpg.

Reply to
upscale

Don't know what camera you have, but it likely also offers a raw image saving format which saves all information possible. Files sizes are absolutely huge and not what most people would consider using except maybe for professional photographers and people like that.

Reply to
upscale

Morris,

OK - It was my birthday and I went out for a bit and missed you message. If you still need the pix they are here. As for the outing, Oh, to be twenty-five again. I think they were just being nice. ;-)

G.

Reply to
Greg G

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do I resemble that remark? (Original Dutchman, living in/near NYC since 1976)

Reply to
Han

Your a good sport Larry. '~)

Reply to
Leon

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:35:00 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

Of course I am. (Now send money. Lots of small bills in a brown paper bag in the middle of the night, please.)

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:50:16 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey scrawled the following:

Windows Paint (XP) can talk PNG, GIF, TIFF, JPG, and 4 flavors of BMP. I think the freeware IrfanView can convert for you, too. Good prog.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 17 Nov 2009 11:32:27 GMT, the infamous Han scrawled the following:

You betcha.

I thoght you might be from Hollandaise.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Reply to
Larry Jaques

the freeware IrfanView can Good prog.www.irfanview.com

Thanks for that link. I had a copy once, loved it and lost it. I used it with FAXES to great advantage.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

"Use jpg only if you're sure there won't be any more editing of an image."

Now, that's an OT I'm happy I read! Thanks

Reply to
Hoosierpopi