box joint jigs. . .

Has anyone seen plans for, or have built one, other than the Lynn jig = and the one Norm built. . .? For the table saw that is, I ain't set up = for the router yet. I am looking for more flexibility than Norm's but = not so complex(use, not construction) as the Lynn jig.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
SwampBug

Norm built. . .? For the table saw that is, I ain't set up for the router yet. I am looking for more flexibility than Norm's but not so complex(use, not construction) as the Lynn jig.

Take a look around for ShopNotes Issue 62. The one in there looks not bad.

Rick

Reply to
RKG

Has anyone seen plans for, or have built one, other than the Lynn jig and the one Norm built. . .? For the table saw that is, I ain't set up for the router yet. I am looking for more flexibility than Norm's but not so complex(use, not construction) as the Lynn jig.

I guess it all depends on whether you enjoy making jigs or not, but I bought a $100 jig from Woodcraft, and it works perfectly. Now I can build boxes instead of jigs.

If the satisfaction gained by shop-building outweighs the time and effort spent, then go for it. Otherwise, commercially built jigs are available for not alot of cash.

Curt Blood

Reply to
CBlood59

Well I need to consider finances a bit more and quite frankly I am not = too comfortable with the metal at my blade, unfounded perhaps but there = anyway. Thanks, I appreciate your input.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I guess it all depends on whether you enjoy making jigs or not, but I = bought a $100 jig from Woodcraft, and it works perfectly. Now I can build boxes = instead of jigs. =20

If the satisfaction gained by shop-building outweighs the time and = effort spent, then go for it. Otherwise, commercially built jigs are available = for not alot of cash.

Curt Blood

Reply to
SwampBug

I can't seem to find much on it. Vol 62 is only available in an annual = volume and is sold out. I googled for it specifically but found nothing. = thanks.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

and the one Norm built. . .? For the table saw that is, I ain't set up = for the router yet. I am looking for more flexibility than Norm's but = not so complex(use, not construction) as the Lynn jig.

Take a look around for ShopNotes Issue 62. The one in there looks not = bad.

Rick

Reply to
SwampBug

I have made a couple of box joint jigs over the years. My first was more traditional, but fit only my old table saw. I made another which attaches to an universal carrier which I use for different operations on my table saw and router table. This requires making a new fence for different size box joints, but I have found this to be preferable and takes very little time or effort.

are some box joints made with the fence shown above.

Ken Vaughn

I built a similar jig for my router table. A few questions...

1) On the first piece you obviously put it next to the pin for the first cut. How do you do the second piece? On my router jig I have problems with movement and tearout on the second piece. 2) Any reason you didn't make it a bit wider and catch the second miter slot as well?
Reply to
toller

Sat, Nov 6, 2004, 5:59am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@etetet.trt (SwampBug) asks: Has anyone seen plans for, or have built one, other than the Lynn jig and the one Norm built. . .?

Yep.

Now I suppose you want to know where?

I've seen some on the web. Don't recall if I posted any, but good chance. Pobably easy enough to find, with google. Library would be a good place to look too.

You can make a basic one pretty easily. Course, if you wanted different sized joints, you'd have to make another. I've seen adjustable ones, that are pretty uncomplicated - just don't recall where.

At least you didn't asky someone to e-mail plans. I guess you didn't think of it. LOL

JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?

Reply to
J T

The jig for box joints uses a square peg set over by the same width as the dado cut. To put it another way, on the 1/4" jig shown there is a 1/4" wide hardwood spacer peg which is located 1/4" over (away) from the slot being cut. The first piece is located as you indicate, with the edge against the peg, and this cuts a slot 1/4" from the edge of the piece. The second piece is put in front of the first and lined up with the edge of the dado set so that it is offset from the first piece by the width of one finger and the first cut made on the front piece. After this cut, both pieces are put over the wooden spacer peg, and subsequent cuts continue until you reach the other edge.

I actually use a shim with my dado set to make the dado cut oversize by .002 or .003 and compensate by moving the fence over a smidge. The holes in the fence are drilled over size and allow a little movement before tightning down the bolts. This makes the fingers a little less than the slots, but makes assembly easier when using a glue with high tack, such as yellow glue (Titebond). This is difficult to explain, but after you have made the first jig it makes sense.

I have never had good results cutting box joints (also called comb joints, or finger joints) on the router. One edge of the bit is cutting into the wood, but the other side is cutting out away from the face of the wood and this causes tearout, especially with ply such as the example shown. You can use a piece of scrap in front of the piece(s) being cut to limit this, but I like the table saw setup where the cut is made into the face(s) of the two pieces and the back of the cut (exit) is supported by the fence.

The carrier shown is used on both by table saw and my router table for several different purposes. Most of the work in making a jig of this sort is getting the face square to the runner, and the fence perpendicular to the table. Having done so, you can replace the fence with another piece of Baltic Birch and quickly make another jig. My router table has only one slot, therefore I use only one runner. It is a steel runner with spring loaded balls to keep positive alignment with the slot in the table saw and router table which have marginally different widths. If you look down at the carrier you will notice different clearance slots in the base located properly for both my table saw and my router table.

Reply to
Ken Vaughn

actually I did a google search first. . .not everyone drops neatly into = your pre-conceived mold JT! LOL! I found several adjustable ones similar to the Lynn jig which is prolly = the most versatile. Some Lynn spin offs, some better some just = different. I inquired here primarily because I have seen some very = innovative approaches applied by those in this group. Thanks for your = reply.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Yep.

Now I suppose you want to know where?=20

I've seen some on the web. Don't recall if I posted any, but good chance. Pobably easy enough to find, with google. Library would be a good place to look too.

You can make a basic one pretty easily. Course, if you wanted different sized joints, you'd have to make another. I've seen adjustable ones, that are pretty uncomplicated - just don't recall where.

At least you didn't asky someone to e-mail plans. I guess you didn't think of it. LOL =20

JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?

Reply to
SwampBug

that is an interesting change to Norm's jig. I was thinking of maybe = arranging to just switch the slot and index peg. . .sorta make an insert = with the slot and properly spaced peg, one for each most common sizes. I = can't decide if I want to use a dado blade or as Norm would say, just = "nibble it away" with just a single blade.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I have made a couple of box joint jigs over the years. My first was = more=20 traditional, but fit only my old table saw. I made another which = attaches=20 to an universal carrier which I use for different operations on my table = saw=20 and router table. This requires making a new fence for different size = box=20 joints, but I have found this to be preferable and takes very little = time or=20 effort.

are some box joints made with the fence shown above.

Vaughn Visit My Workshop:

SwampBug

I settled on a Porter Cable Omni Jog many years ago. They have two non adjustable box joint templates. I really like the Omnijig. I bought the bigger one and many of their templates. The adjustable dovetail worked great. I use the small non adjustable to make drawer boxes. I think they are well made, but they are pricey. max

Reply to
max

Sat, Nov 6, 2004, 4:52pm (EST-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@etetet.trt (SwampBug) claims: actually I did a google search first. . .not everyone drops neatly into your pre-conceived mold JT! LOL!

Than youse probably ran across this one too.

Found it's best to believe no search was made, until told otherwise.

I'm thinking I'd make a different one for each different size I wanted. Then just mark on each what size it was. Might take a bit longer to make, but make up for it in setup time.

JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?

Reply to
J T

Hi Ken,

do you remember the guy selling these jigs on eb**? He actually came to the wreck to defend himself for a post or two but got beat up pretty badly IIRC.

Reply to
Greg Millen

G'day Mate,

I think I missed that thread. Being retired, I travel a lot and it may have occurred during one of my trips. Box joint jigs have been around forever, the woodworking books and magazines were full of them when I took up this hobby, and that's been, well a few years.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Vaughn

yep, that is the one I refered to in my OP as "Norm's" jig. I agree with = your assesment, I was hoping to get some insight on a "best of both = worlds" solution.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Than youse probably ran across this one too.

Found it's best to believe no search was made, until told otherwise. =20

I'm thinking I'd make a different one for each different size I wanted. Then just mark on each what size it was. Might take a bit longer to make, but make up for it in setup time.

JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?

Reply to
SwampBug

is sold out. I googled for it specifically but found nothing. thanks.

It's Vol. 11 Issue 62 I picked it up at Busy Bee Tools in London Ont. They seemed to have shelves of old ShopNotes mags.

Rick

Reply to
RKG

Sun, Nov 7, 2004, 9:40am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@etetet.trt (SwampBug) now claims: yep, that is the one I refered to in my OP as "Norm's" jig. I agree with your assesment, I was hoping to get some insight on a "best of both worlds" solution. An, it's "insight" ya wants. Best I can do is try and find a magic

8 ball, on my next safari to the big city. LMAO

JOAT Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell are my T-shirts?

Reply to
J T

LOL! Thanks, if I am ever in Canada, I'll check it out.

--=20 SwampBug

volume and is sold out. I googled for it specifically but found nothing. = thanks.

It's Vol. 11 Issue 62 I picked it up at Busy Bee Tools in London=20 Ont. They seemed to have shelves of old ShopNotes mags.

Rick

Reply to
SwampBug

I see not everyone knows how "insight" works! LOL! . . .and how ya gonna = find a magic 8 ball when you can't even find your T-shirts!=20

--=20 SwampBug