Planer/chop saw cart - idea "stolen" from Norm

in a recent garage makeover for bench tools, Norm built a large planer/chopsaw cart. His chop saw was up high, and had extension wings to flip up. I wanted mine to be the same height as the tablesaw table.

The planer is high enough that my Home Depot outfeed support will drop down to "catch" boards feeding through.

Alan

Alan W

for? Well done.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

On Sat 06 Nov 2004 01:15:56a, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

be stored. I've already built a cart for the SCMS, but I think the Ryobi spindle sander would be just fine where your chop saw is. :-) That was the last one.

Oh, dammit. Forgot about that vintage Sears Scroll saw a friend dropped off last spring. Nuts.

Reply to
Dan

Make the table top deeper, then make the back swing up to make an even larger top. Put the scroll saw on a lazy suzan with a lock rod, pivot it around, lock it, raise the table and away you go with a space to sit with your legs underneath.

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

Do you use the planer at that height, or set it on a stand/bench?

Reply to
mac davis

On Sat 06 Nov 2004 09:48:33p, A Womack wrote in news:Xns9599C97D578D1arwomack01attnet@127.0.0.1:

A variation on that would probably work, but this is a belt-driven scroll saw. I've got to mount a motor on there someplace too. And I haven't even started reconditioning the poor thing. I'll build the station with that in mind but it'll be awhile before I start scrollsawing. :-)

Heck, he dropped off a homemade lathe too, and it's still in pieces. I think SWMBO wants that one put together first. She's been watching that woodturning basics show on DIY.

Sigh.

Reply to
Dan

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I will use it at that height, the planer weighs about 90 lbs and it really is a bit much to move by oneself safely around the shop. My intention in height was to have the beds where the home depot outfeed support would handle the outfeed, but in my world my measurements were off a ways +again+. Will have to see if I can cut down the central bar a bit more than I thought.. :)

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

Reply to
nospambob

hmm... I'll have to look at the picture again... it seemed like the planer was only about a foot of the floor...

BTW, how do you like your Delta planer?

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've not used the dewalt much yet, it does leave a very smooth surface, and except for planing some 1/4" pieces the other day, the dust blower is quite good. I expect with the dust collector it will be even better.

The 1/4" did suffer bad tearout / snipe, but I understand this is a funce of the small stuff (1/2" x 1/4") flexing under planing. If I made a sled, it would have been fine.

Actual height to the bed is about 17" or so, the wheels are about 5" in total height, then the 1 1/2" of plywood shelves, the height of the drawer opening is about 9.5" and then the high from the planer bottom to the bed itself.

Alan

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

thanks, Alan.... I hope to get a planer in '05 and so far the dewalt looks to be the most bang for my limited bucks..

Reply to
mac davis

On Sun 07 Nov 2004 09:55:02a, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah but I ain't tellin' her about that till I get the thing put together. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan