made a little sewing machine table

The sewing machine is an old hand-cranked Singer, the trike an old Schwinn.

I'm not yet doing highly skilled joinery, but it's one of the nicer pieces I've made. There are four pieces composing the main table, the side supports are notched into the top and back. I purchased and used a dada blade in a table saw for the first time with this project. The side supports are also screwed to the table top and back. There's also a small back piece that attaches to the frame to reduce wobble, and a small drawer under the sewing machine for scissors, etc. The pull is just barely visible. There are two pieces holding the sewing machine down for mobility, one pivots for taking the machine out, one is fixed.

The whole thing was stained nearly black to match the trike and sewing machine and then decorated with imitation gold leaf.

It's intended to be mobile, but not intended to do a lot of riding. Finding a balance between sturdy and lightweight was a challenge. There are several sets of mounting holes on the frame of the trike, but only the outermost ones were at all near where I wanted to mount stuff.

Elijah

------ the trike went out for an inaugral ride and photoshoot today

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

I have to ask, is this just an art project or does it have some mysterious purpose?

Reply to
Leon

Perhaps the trike is to power the sewing machine, like would be needed if the rider split his pants.

It looks like this set-up has the chain dropped so that the pedals power the sewing machine:

If they had the Swiss Army Knife kit, they could mount the flashlight on the pole and sew the split pants on a country road at night.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On Wed, 13 May 2015 10:07:34 -0500, Leon

Add a magneto and abattery to it and he's all set to go!

Reply to
none

I like that, I really like it. Might have been better with a treadle sewing machine. Bugrit. I've got two treadle wood lathes and you sent me off on a tangent. SWMBO is not going to be best pleased. All the best, Nick

Reply to
Nick

i see what to do here in a previous post i linked a video about a flip-over and reveal or conceal double-duty bench top gadget rig

turn the trike into similar with a sewing machine and treadle lathe behold the mobile chair maker

custom sewn seat covers to match the custom chair

might need to add a trailer to haul some tools/wood

Reply to
Electric Comet