Sewing machine for DIY ?

I'm a bit of a rucksack connoisseur, and my favourite 12-year-old "Macpac Tekapo 25" rucksack has some fairly large holes in it. Rather than throw it away, I'd like to repair it, but my previous attempts with a needle and thread have been very time consuming. There are companies that offer rucksack repairs, but their charges seem quite high.

Can anyone recommend a sewing machine for DIY purposes? It would need to be able to sew through fairly heavy rucksack fabrics.

Reply to
FullyDetached

Most domestic sewing machines can cope. Use a needle designed for leather and be prepared to help the machine wheel if it sticks. I've done caravan awnings on her machine with quite heavy canvas as well as vinyl seat covers. You need canvas thread to get the best results, try a camping shop.

Reply to
Capitol

Before you buy a sewing machine try your local town for someone who does 'alterations' to clothes. They often have a range of machines and can be very cheap.

I had a pair of walking sandals repaired by one (the leather strap had broken)- cost me £2.00.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Get yourself a pre-war treadle machine like mine. It only sews straight, but it'll sew nearly anything.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Any old metal geared machine should do it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Try a cobbler?

They have kickass machines and are usually glad of the work these days.

Reply to
David

+1 Many of the modern machines don't cope well with multiple layers of heavy fabrics.
Reply to
S Viemeister

Saddlers also have the hardware, but they tend not to be short of work and hence expensive.

Ditto sailmaker if you are near the coast.

As someone else said, you might be surprised what a modern "ordinary" machine can do; wife has a big fancy vintage industrial Singer for making bridles etc (for horses, before you ask) but actually uses her domestic one for making things like dog leads out of 25 mm nylon webbing which is quite thick.

Reply to
newshound

Hot melt glue was the answer to my last Jeans pocket failure:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I didn't ask, but I'm told there's a high premium paid in the fetish market so perhaps she should diversify

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Reply to
S Viemeister

Old, basic sewing machines are best. You don't need all the fancy stitches that modern machines have. Straight and zig-zag pretty much cover it.

A 'sleeve arm', I think they are called, is useful - the lower part is thin enough to slip sleeves etc. over. Good for working in tight places...

I have an old Husqvarna 'Viking' which is almost of industrial quality. It has a 'tri-stitch' whis is also handy. I have used this for sewing webbing, leather, etc., as well as making kites and 'real' clothes.

Pfaff and Bernina of similar vintage are also good makes. As you will see, many will recommend you get an old treadle Singer or similar. I haven't used anything like this recently to compare.

HTH Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Yes, this is very handy, but really old Singers tend not to have it.

My Viking (20-25 years old) has been able to handle anything I've tried on it - many layers of leather, canvas, webbing, heavy upholstery fabrics, binding quilts - with no strain whatsoever.

Pfaff are solid, but IME needlessly complicated.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Staples are useful sometimes - but not for duvet covers. Don't ask me how I know that.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I did once do an emergency repair on a sporran, using a stapler...

Reply to
S Viemeister

Hand wash in luke warm water only. ;)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Done in a hurry as they were the only clean pair found prior to a holiday.

Don't know about washing. When I ordered the glue sticks they were for two different purposes, wood and other? The sticks are identical so I don't know which I used.

Same stuff used to fabricate a cover for the GC play pit. Woven polyethylene tarpaulin. Looks OK so far.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What do you think will happen to hot melt glue in hot water?

Mind, wonkypedia suggests it doesn't melt until 120C so it may not be a problem.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

For occasional wear, it may be some months before I find out. The likelihood of prevailing on my wife to use a low temperature wash for my clothes is pretty low!

The full story is longer.... my last Jeans purchase from M+S turned out to have the hip pockets set so low that wallet and mobile phone make driving uncomfortable. Presumably some fashion statement only relevant to the wilds of Chelsea:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

in the wilds of Chelsea they drive 4x4s. needed for off-the road-driving ie parking on the pavement.

Reply to
charles