lost my yellow plastic safety key!

Hi, folks, I inherited a nice, big Delta belt/disc sander (like this one: http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-695.html ), but it seems to require one of those little plastic safety keys to make it run--mine is missing.
I know I could probably call Delta and request a replacement, but does anybody know a work around? I like to do a little sanding right now!
Thanks, ds

You mean other than shorting the switch? No, sorry.

What's REALLY funny is that the safety is there to prevent kids from hurting themselves on saws or other power tools. But the little, attractive, yellow thingie is just right for a little kid to be tempted to put into his mouth and choke on. I wonder if the CPSC has ever considered this...
Bob the Tomato
*snip*

Yeah, and I'm going out to the shop now to get a couple fasteners in an old medicine bottle. Anyone's 5 year old still up? :-)
Puckdropper

I had lost a key to my sander so I made one out of hardboard. A flat screwdriver might do in a pinch.

largecorp wrote:

If you have a large local Sears, might try there -- many of their tools used a very similar if not the same "key".
No more complicated than they are, surely it wouldn't take much to make a dummy.
On another tack, I replaced them all w/ regular mag starters or better quality mechanical switches as they failed on what I had -- none of the originals lasted more than a couple years at best as I recall...

Put in another switch.
Fri, Aug 17, 2007, 12:37pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (largecorp) doth claimeth: Hi, folks, I inherited a nice, big Delta belt/disc sander (like this one: http://www.cpowoodworking.com/sanders/31-695.html ), but it seems to require one of those little plastic safety keys to make it run--mine is missing. <snip>
If you've not "seen" the safety key, how do you know it was yellow?
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (largecorp) doth

Are you missing a Delta belt/disk sander, JOAT? ;-)
Puckdropper

Sat, Aug 18, 2007, 3:24am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth query thusly: Are you missing a Delta belt/disk sander, JOAT? ;-)
Nope, but willing to seriously consider buying one - if the safety key is yellow.

Put a couple of popsicle sticks in the 2 slots.
"Leon" wrote in message

Just be sure you wipe the wine off first!
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/08/07

Hah!!!
It brings back the picture...
Robert
Lost mine for a Craftsman bandsaw. Just glued up some plastic to fit. Been using it for only around 8 years now.
--
Strube
Professional Firefighter, amateur everything else I try to do...