Looks like chicken...

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@usenet.ca wrote:

Keep Canada a secret or all the people that are coming to the USA will go there. We'd hate that. :) Hank
Silvan's remarks about payments >snipped<
A bit of a story. Around the late 70s my uncle and the vet were getting some cows and their calves moved to a new pasture. This meant loading them in a cattle trailer and hauling them off. Well as one of the cows was scampering (well, to the extent a 1200 lb cow can scamper) past my uncle, she let out and kicked him oin the side of the face. "We better get you to ol Doc" said the vet. "Nah, I feel ok," said Unlce. Well within a few minites Uncle was feeling a bit dizzy and decided to go washoff his mug and assess the damage. He said that while he was walking past the kitchen window he happened to look and see his reflection. Said he could see his teeth through his cheek. Then and there he said he got dizzy as heck and had to sit down. The vet drove him in to see the Doc. (Everyone called him Ol Doc Biermann. He'd been in the community since the early 30s and had delivered whose grandparent he had delivered and in some cases, weas still owed for the delivery of the grandparents!) Well Doc sat my uncle down in the examination room and started cleaning up the damage. He had to sew on the part of uncle's ear that had been torn loose. After finishing up the stitching, he asked his nurse Ginger "Ginger, did I get that ear sewed on straight?" Heh, Doc was in his mid to late 70s at the time. Anyways, when the bill came it was a grand total of $150.00. Yep, one hundred and fifty dollars. This is the same Doc that prescribed 2 tablespoons of blackberry brandy for loose bowels. The community was saddened when he passed on.
Kevin wrote:

I had a doctor like that too. Not the guy to go to if you have some weird disease, but most things have been around since the dawn of time.
Hell of a doctor, that Dr. Boatwright. I'm not sure how old he was when he passed on, but he was definitely in geezer territory. Kept on seeing patients to the end.
He delivered me, and maybe Mom too.
About the last thing you want to do in today's legal climate is obstetrics. Country docs give 'em magnesium sulfate and a pillow to clamp between their knees and call the medics to take 'em someplace else.

George wrote:

Yeah, I'll bet. Delivering babies sure has gotten a lot more complicated since I was born. ;)
Tis true. Family practice docs can not afford the malpractice insurance; only the obgyn docs can, because they do it all the time.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans wrote:

Yeah, plus the whole face of child bearing really has changed a lot. People are generally waiting until they're a lot older than I am to even think they might get around to having kids, and women are frequently well past their biologically prime bearing years, so everything is more complicated.
The methods have changed a lot too. I was born in a stainless steel operating theater. Both of my kids were born in rooms done up in cherry and walnut. Very clever furniture that kept the necessary supplies and instruments close at hand without looking medical until it needed to.
See, that cherry and walnut is why it's so dang expensive. That's whatcha get when you let wimminz become doctors. They get crazy ideas about not making the process of giving birth a terrifying ordeal, and they make men come in and *watch* that whole mess...
(Wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm glad I didn't have to *do* it, but I'm glad I was there. It's probably a lot easier being a woman now than it used to be.)

I'll be sure to tell my med student daughter that. ;-)
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:48:12 -0400, "Morgans"

Do you have still midwives in the USA ?
Our (UK) midwives are currently having a bit of a disagreement with obstetricians, over the amount of medical intervention and the safety of home births. Their argument (simply) is that most births don't need much intervention, those that will are generally obvious early on, and many forms of early-stage intervention (such as induction) then turn the entire birth into a medical procedure. If the doctors didn't interfere at the start, they wouldn't create so much work for themselves later on.

Yes. More now than 30 to 40 years ago. There was a bit of a backlash to the doctor oriented childbirth system of the post WW2 era. In the US midwives almost disappeared till that backlash occured. It was sort of an outgrowth of the 60s anti-establishment and womens' rights movements.

Yep, I remember reading pretty much the same arguments about 25 years ago when my first child was expected. Midwives and non-clinical birthing rooms have become more prevelant since then. I'm sure the same arguments are still being made on both sides.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
George wrote:

First thing we do is kill all the lawyers. Don't remember where I read that, but it wasn't the Harvard Law Review. Hank