Looking for a long-term business partner in North NJ/NYC area

Page 1 of 2
Howdy folks
I'm trying to start a small business which will have a major woodworking co mponent. I recently pretty much lost my first client because the guy I foun d on Craigslist decided to flake out on me (yeah, I know, going on Craigsli st was my first mistake). Even if I had the time to learn this stuff for my self, I really don't have the real estate or budget for floor machines righ t now. So, I'm looking for somebody whom I can make an equal partner for th e long haul.
The right person will
-be interested in starting a new business -be familiar with millwork and cabinetry as well as architectural framing, and have the hardware to handle (basic) millowrk. -have a little more time on their hands than they really want
3 business contact references are A MUST. Once bitten, twice shy.
Love of live music of any kind is a big plus.
reply to donovandigital at gmail
Many thanks in advance to any interested parties
Joe Stavitsky
Joe S. wrote:

Maybe it will get someone's attention if you share some of your credentials. Are you a long-time reader of the wrec?

Sorry, wrec?
Re my credentials, I'm basically an AV tech who's back in school to get an ee degree. I'll go into alot more detail with interested parties, but if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. I just may not always answer :).
Thanks again
Joe
On 5/12/2014 12:38 AM, Joe S. wrote:

Any details at all would be nice.
but if anybody has any questions feel free to ask. I just may not always answer :).
I'm thinking that any one wanting me to go into business with "me" needs to show an interest in answering any questions immediately.

On Sun, 11 May 2014 22:38:02 -0700 (PDT), "Joe S."

You're welcome, but count me out.
Guys
Thanks again for the interest, and sorry if I was a little short on info la st night. It was kind of a long day.
The general idea is to put together a full-service audiovisual sales and re ntal operation, focusing on the entertainment industry. That said, I am in the early stages of market research; corporate work may be more lucrative.
I've been doing a/v work for about 5 years, focusing on audio. I have stron g electronics-fu and can repair pretty much any audiovisual hardware you th row at me (I don't have a reflow oven in my basement so there's certain stu ff I simply won't bother with). However, to chase the really big-ticket wor k I need to have a very tight relationship with somebody who understands ar chitectural framing and joinery. Easy enough to demonstrate mathematically that hanging a speaker off a load-bearing beam will not hurt the structure; somewhat tougher to make the city building inspector believe it.
To take a far simpler example; I can obtain, at fairly short notice, a soft ware package to design advanced custom loudspeaker systems. Actually buildi ng them is where you guys come in. Selling custom speakers on ebay strikes me as a great low-voltage starting point for a business relationship. After we do that for a little bit we can consider where we want to go next.
Again, not that I want to be closemouthed about what I'm trying to do but t here are just certain topics I am not comfortable discussing on an "open li ne", so to speak. I'll gladly tell you anything you want to know over email .
On 5/12/2014 12:15 PM, Joe S. wrote:

Sounds like you are asking for 2 things.
One to do a builtin. One to build speakers.
Speakers are built with particle board (heavy) to get a consistent sound, and they are veneered. While veneering is not difficult, it can be quite expensive to get the veneers desired in quantities to support small runs. I assume you are making small custom runs to pick out the look.
Building the speaker is a box.. Unless you require baffling.
The builtin, is quite different. I assume you will be matching finishes in high end homes. That in itself can be quite difficult to match existing finishes.
How much volume will you be doing? And what is your expected turnaround time frame?
--
Jeff

On 5/12/2014 11:24 AM, woodchucker wrote:

A former band mate, and Asst Engineer in my studio, was (may still be?) a partner in this:
http://www.novaaudio.com/
Billy and his partners have impeccable credentials in acoustics, mathematics and engineering. I helped him put together a few speakers in the early days, almost 20 years ago. We also mixed a couple of albums in my studio using their products as console reference monitors to give them some recording industry experience/exposure.
I watched these guys struggle for a number of years, and they still may be doing so. Tough business in this neck of the woods, or any neck of the woods from what I've seen. IMO, anyone contemplating getting into this industry needs to be young, hungry, and ready for some tough sledding in the early years.
Good luck to the OP ... nothing ventured, nothing gained. But don't anyone give up their day job (if you are lucky to have one) too soon. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/12/2014 12:19 PM, Joe S. wrote:

Trust me, my post was solely for the benefit of those who routinely participate in, and know what the "wrec" is. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Jeff
Thanks for the interest
The residential market is a big market, but it does not necessarily have th e biggest jobs. At this early stage I am far more comfortable with my abili ty to do business with nightclub/bar owners and theaters than I am with res idential work. However, that comes from a money standpoint, not a skillset standpoint - I can cut and patch drywall as well as the next guy.
I am not so sure about (only) particleboard as a material; take a look at s ome of the stuff here. Not saying that these are the best designs necessari ly, but to make it on ebay we should be able to do things like that out of some nicer-looking hardwoods.
That said, I proposed the loudspeaker thing as a simple expedient by which we can make sure that our business styles are 150% compatible rather than a long-term business model. If it keeps making money, so much the better.
Re volume, still researching. At an early estimate, if one job takes more than 2 weeks we are doing something wrong. If it takes more than a month we are doing something VERY wrong.
Joe S. wrote:

You will probably need a licensed professional engineer to sign off on it.

I have a few guys in mind. My math and physics skills greatly reduce their workload and my cost.
Joe S. wrote:

I would believe that if you can do your own drawing. Then you would just need to pay them to approve it.
On Mon, 12 May 2014 14:17:08 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
(snip)

rec.audio.pro would be a good group to check out for this.
Joe S. wrote:

--------------------------------------------- None of which has anything to do with running a business.
Lew
It seems I am going about this the wrong way. My expectation was that if I showed up here and people were interested in hearing my propositions - and they had the hardware and skillset I mentioned - they would email me any qu estions they had. As it stands, I'm kinda fuzzy - do you guys expect to see a complete business plan before you even entertain certain discussions? If so, then no problem, I will come back here when I have one ready. On the o ther hand, if any of you guys want to get some relatively small (and pretty much risk-free) work done, split the profits, and make sure I have 2 brain cells to rub together as a fringe benefit, we could do that too. Option B would certainly make me more comfortable with putting the time into complet ing a business plan writeup.
I am curious - I realize I haven't linked to any of my work or my resume, b ut what in particular made anyone think that I was not aware of rec.audio.p ro? More to the point, why should I expect useful advice (much less encoura gement) from people whom I expect to be my direct competition?
Joe S. wrote:

I think a popular attitude is that if you post a question in a group, then you should be willing to read the answer there.

I think we've already had some pretty good discussions. Mike Marlow suggested that there is a lot more to audio acoustics than building a cabinet, and I think he is right. Lew Hodgett pointed out that there is more to running a business than meets the eye. There were more comments than I can remember at the moment. I'm sure you can contract all of the additional "skills" and expertise you require locally. Why not try playing the role of "general contractor" and see what happens. Even if it costs you money, I think you'll come out ahead. Do some painting and drywall at the same time, so you can keep busy where you're not working on your ee degree, and maybe make a few bucks.

On Monday, May 12, 2014 8:12:51 PM UTC-5, Joe S. wrote:

[...]

What I see is you are not willing to listen to others, or consider their op inions, you hope to work with. It's your way or no way. In my initial rea ding, there are several things that convinces me you are already disorganiz ed.
You seem to want to market to a certain group, yet, initially, you say you "want to use EBay, then decide, later, what to do (use) next". You have t o be kidding! Your business plan better already have that decision made, i .e., what to use next. I doubt the market group, you seek, even shops on EBay, for the/their specific needs you are wanting to sell to them.
If I were to join into a partnership, you darn right I would want to know t he whole business plan.... investment $ (my input), startup, evolution, pro spective goals for 1 yr, 3 yrs, 5 yrs, and the like,.... etc. Not that you have to announce them here, but you haven't been clear, at all, as to what professional person you need, in order to find out if there's one here, be cause you don't know exactly what kind of professional person you need, to fill a particular niche. I surmise you don't fully know or understand the niche, either, you are wanting to be filled.
I don't see that you have a complete business plan, hence you couldn't pres ent one, in the first place. Before seeing a business plan, I'd want to re view your market research, as I suspect it may be severely lacking, also.
With that, I don't see your plans as achieving the future goals you aspire to.
Sonny