Polypropylene, Or Dacron Rope For Long term Outdoor Usage: Suggestions ?

Hello:

Will beputting up a simple horizontal radio antenna for receiving only.

Have to connect the end of the antenna wire to a tree, perhaps 15 feet or so away.

It's going to be a real pain to string it, and would really like whatever I use to tie the end of the wire to the insulator I'll have on the tree to last a Very long time.

How is polypropolyne rope for very long term outdoor usage ? Thinking of brittleness problems due to ozone, heat in the summer, zero temp's in the winter, etc. ?

Anything better; perhaps items like Dacron rope ?

Or,... ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

The best ropes are used for mountain climbing, but over a long period of time even they will break down. You'd be better off using stranded aluminum cable. The kind they sell in hardware stores.

Reply to
Bob

Use "aircraft" cable. It's stainless steel and very reliable. Home Depot sells it by the foot. Cut it with a cold chisel and small sledge hammer on a rock or bench vice.

Do not use polypropylene rope for anything. There are pix on the web of a tug-of-war using poly rope -- the rope didn't just break, it exploded. A couple of guys were killed.

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

Both poly and dacron are good for outdoor use. Poly is really only used where it's ability to float is an asset. Dacron is the better choice.

Climbing rope (as someone suggested) is a very poor choice. It is very expensive, is designed to stretch (to absorb fall impact) and degrades in light.

Reply to
Toller

I've had some experience with CB antennas and my father-in-law is a ham radio operator, here's my two cents.

I took a look on the web and found a site that details how to construct a long wire antenna.

I hope it helps.

Handi

Reply to
Handi

Some UV resistant Dacron should be longer lasting. Check this out.

Ralph Mowery

Climbing rope is nylon typically and nylon has poorer UV resistance than polyester.

Polyester (one brand name is Dacron) would be a better choice. However, I'd use stainless steel cable as others have suggested.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Use steel cable. Easiest cheapest solution is to buy clothes line cable, which is steel cable sheathed with a plastic. The plastic will eventually crack and fall to pieces but in the mean time it protects the steel.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon