LN Customer Service

Page 1 of 2

I think the email thread below says all that needs to be said. Note the time stamps.

Tom Banes wrote:

LN if you had just called customer service and said, "my new plane has a split handle"? :)
Dave

In my business life I've never seen any reason not to use a reasonable tone, letting folks know you've appeciated them in the past and would like to do so in the future does no harm, if true, and sets the tone for the conversation. As for calling, I prefer email - I don't think as fast as I talk sometimes.
Regards.
Tom Banes wrote:

you created an entire story when a simple sentence should have sufficed. If I was on the receiving end I would have gotten impatient to see what your complaint was. I wouldn't have needed all the extra detail to make a simple decision to send you a replacement.
Dave
Dave
My point was that

Story telling is a dying art. I choose to perputuate it.
Different strokes.
Tom Banes wrote:

Dave

It appears that making an effort to spell properly is also a dying art. Too bad the new art of using a spell checker hasn't caught on either.

Glad you agree.
Upscale wrote:

I have a spelling checker. It came with my PC. It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot see. Eye ran this poem threw it. Your sure real glad two no. Its very polished in its weigh, My checker tolled me sew. A checker is a blessing. It freeze yew lodes of thyme. It helps me right awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime. Each frays come posed up on my screen Eye trussed too bee a joule. The checker pours o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule. Bee fore a veiling checkers Hour spelling mite decline, And if we're laks oar have a laps, We wood bee maid too wine. Butt now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, There are know faults with in my cite, Of nun eye am a wear. Now spelling does not phase me, It does knot bring a tier. My pay purrs awl due glad den With wrapped words fare as hear. To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud, And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws are knot aloud. Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear four pea seas, And why eye brake in two averse Buy righting want too please. [source unknown]
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Thanks for that laugh, Duane. I was about to praise your literary talent until I saw the disclaimer. :)
Dave
David wrote:

I worked on it some from the time I first saw it, but had nothing to do w/ the original creation...it was posted by a support person w/ a small software outfit I use.
I do like the somewhat gentle reminder that spell checkers aren't always the panacea they're often made out to be...
Duane Bozarth wrote:

I thnik porper seplilng is vrey ipmotrnat. I uasluly use a sepll cehkcer to aovid ebmsasarnirg msylef.
Dvae
David wrote:

:)

That was a Budweiser induced OOOPS. I should have spell checked it (or used a smaller word).
Humble, contrite, indeed abject, apologies for having, in some way, discommoded you and others.

Tom.. I also prefer email, for a couple of other reasons:
The recipient can read at their leisure and not have to take notes on the phone...
they can forward it to the appropriate department, saving you the hassle of repeating your problem to another person...
you have a record of what you said and of any replies that they sent back..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:12:39 -0700, mac davis

Concur.
In re your last sentence:
The message stream is a great help when litigating. Email NEVER dies or mis-remembers.
Tom
Might be better for LN QA to know what the real/detailed facts are?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

you were a mfgr. wouldn't you rather see the defective component than just take a report from the customer? QA is gonna want "hands on" to determine if any changes need to be made in the mfgr'ing process. The mfgr that doesn't want the part back probably doesn't care a whole lot about QA.
Dave

Or, perhaps, is aware that a 'bad batch' slipped by the QA process. I experienced this similar situation a few weeks ago with a Senco FP41XP nailer. Purchased months ago but didn't open or use until recently. Out of the box (and still under warranty) there were air leaks. I phoned Senco Customer (Dis) Service and was told the O rings that were leaking were not covered under the warranty. I brought the unit in to my local dealer and explained the problem, fully expecting to pony up nearly $100. to repair the unused gun. Without hesitation, the nailer was exchanged. The dealer was aware of the fact that there was a bad batch that recently made its way into the retail channel. A good example of why I will always make the attempt to purchase locally before giving my business to a faceless online retailer. Also a good example of why I'll think twice and twice again before purchasing anything sold under the Senco brand.
gregg
Yes I would generally agree with those comments however, the OP sent a reasonable and detailed description of the problem. This gets honesty points if I work there.

that they my have made some determination and save the customer the hassle of returning. My opinion on your original question is yes he would have gotten just as good of customer service response

Not true. He may already have 47 of them returned and getting one more is not going to help. He may already know there was a problem in production, it was corrected, but a few slipped through.
In 99% of the cases, I know what a problem was caused by and from the description. It usually has long been corrected because we've made 20,000 more since then with no complaints. If it was a machine malfunction and corrected, the part is of no value. If it was carelessness on the part of the packer, I may want it to show him or others what NOT to do. That is a tiny minority of what I see but can vary in different industries.
You listen to the customer, you assure him he will be credited or the part replaced, you thank him for bringing the problem to your attention.