Customer service. Not

I note that a lot of companies no longer publish email addresses or phone numbers on their sites. Their 'Help' section is merely a series of self posed questions and answers. No chance of actually asking a question. Phone number are just to an automated service with more self posed questions and answers. Chat line is an option on some sites but chatting to someone in India is not going to elicit an answer to a serious question. That's me avoiding Samsung, Vodafone, Specsavers and others I couldn't be arsed listing . Feel free to add your own favourites

Reply to
fred

I would add NS&I who provide an email address but never answer. See my reply in the thread "Missing e-mails".

Reply to
Max Demian

The last time I tried to use a chat session for help, they asked a question that required quite a detailed reply, with times, dates, quotes, etc. - and then dropped the chat session because I did not manage to type a full (lengthy) answer to their question (including having to look up some of that information) within 30 seconds!

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> wrote in news:s05vl5$3q5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Can I guess the next bit?

The next time you tried with a pre prepared script, the chat buffer spat it out as too long?

I've taken the habit of having pre prepared script sections covering predicted chat branches ready to copy and paste into the chat box, very effective.

Reply to
Peter Burke

I've had that one, but not with the same company.

I've done that, but it's the question you weren't expecting that catches you out.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Isn't a "pre prepared script" just a "prepared script"?

Reply to
Chris Green

And the FAQ never includes your one. It's likely a sign of the times. Seeking help before trying the obvious things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I'm no fan of Vodafone either, but I was recently very surprised at how well their "Chat" worked on their website. I complained to them that my broadband was cutting out about once a day. One of the things they had me do was to take the faceplate off the BT socket and plug the router splitter directly into the internal master socket instead of the faceplate.

This is the socket into which the router is plugged... I queried the request - surely that would result in the temporary disconnection of my broadband, and the disconnection of the "Chat"? "No, it should be OK" came the reply. So I did as I was told, and they were correct! After the broadband connection had re-established itself, my chat carried on as if nothing had happened!

I was impressed, anyway. And, actually, the broadband hasn't disconnected in the month or so since.

Reply to
David

You are assuming that there is a person at the other end of the "chat" facility. The computer is not expecting a detailed reply!

Reply to
alan_m

I've generally had very reasonable experience with "text chat" compared to phone helplines. My impression is that they often have a better quality of support. Also, it seems easier to convey one's own technical level quickly. I find it psychologically less irritating to be waiting for a response in a box on the screen compared to listening to Four Seasons on a phone line.

Reply to
newshound

Yes, I've found it better too and always choose it as an option. Handy if they will email the transcript too (although I CTRL-A and copy-and-paste if not). I wondered if it requires a person to be able to type reasonably well and so that alone might well rule out those that are only good enough for chatting on the phone. I also prefer it as I too can carrying working on my computer whilst they're fannying around at their end. I was on a support not long ago (to Google I think?) and it said not to feel under pressure to type quickly - I could take up to *24 hours* to respond and my chat session would remain open. I can only assume someone else would've stepped in at the other end, or at least I hope so!

Whilst I haven't had much experience myself, I believe support via social media to be staffed by people empowered to do a lot more than those via other channels. I suppose they're operating out in the open; more on the front line and so perhaps require greater powers to help protect the brand.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

They asked for details!

Reply to
Steve Walker

It reminds me of 'pre-ordered'.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Well almost everyone I call. I only usually get a human if they have a disability help section and even then you need to key a huge number of options before you arrive at a human, and even more likely that the blind aspect has not been trained for and they don't know where to go. Notable exception recently was John Lewis, who seem to have their help centre in the west country, so as long as English accents are OK then no problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Vodaphone have got UK humans, but you do need to be creative on the press this for that choices sometimes. I've also had reasonable results on Amazon, though where the person is is unknown. Judging by the lag, its on the moon!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

That sounds like a chat bot. A lot of those about and only those who supply the info then get to a real person. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

This started years ago! The reason, I presume, is that email:

- takes longer to read;

- take longer to reply to;

- relies upon literate operators, who won't make typos, etc.;

- invites dialogues with individuals;

- makes dialogues with individuals almost inevitable, if the customer does not express his/her problem properly.

Phone support only, or chat, allows the operator to conduct a swift, and often effective, dialogue [with the average customer], very quickly isolating what is _actually_ wrong.

Having said all that: I agree that it's a PITA.

John

Reply to
Another John

I can accept pre-ordered.

One of my hobbies is model railways. I can order something and have it delivered, even if I have to wait a short while for it to come back into stock, but some items have unknown delivery dates that may be 6 months or more away and may be pushed back and back (delays of a year or more are not unknown). They may even be cancelled as not enough interest has been shown to justify continuing with the design work required to continue or just not enough to justify another production batch and so they will never be delivered. Pre-ordered fits that sort of item - as if it was an order, you'd expect it to be delivered at some point.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, Bill, we think alike on some things! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

I still don't understand the difference between 'pre order' and 'order', when you order something it will take some time to get to you. Thst time may be sort and predictable or long and unpredictable but you're still ordering it.

Pre-order (if there is such a word) says to me something you do

*before* ordering, e.g. ask for a quote. It might be mandatory in some situations (i.e. government departments) to go through a 'pre-order' process to select a supplier and decide who to order from.
Reply to
Chris Green