LIVE TRAP

Page 1 of 2

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/sanders64.html
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green
J T said:

Hey, I could use a large live trap like that for the packs of dogs that roam at night and attack our animals and dig in the trash...
And paint it bright yellow... in your honor...
Greg G.
Sat, Nov 5, 2005, 7:41pm snipped-for-privacy@electron.com (GregG.) doth sayeth: Hey, I could use a large live trap like that for the packs of dogs that roam at night and attack our animals and dig in the trash... And paint it bright yellow... in your honor...
If they's pets roaming free, need to call animal control Of course, if they're pets probably be OK trapping them, easy enough to enlarge the plans. If they ARE just pets roaming, a BB gun will work. I've found they'll come back after the first time you pop them in the rear, but never more than three times total. A couple of years back, I got a 15-shot CO2 BB pistol. It'll pop off those 15 BBs as fast as you can pull the trigger. No call to use it on a dog, so far.
If they's wild (feral) dogs, best to deal with them is a 12 guage, buckshot, and at least one buddy, with the same -so you can watch each other's back. You do NOT want to try a BB gun on ferel dogs.
Eiher way, you can paint them yellow when you're done.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green
J T said:

Animal control doesn't come - but if they did, the dogs would either be gone or the neighbors would get all pissy about it. They're stupid, young, republican types. The world owes 'em. No inconvenience is to great to inflict on others. And I still have to live here next door to them.
But I think it's a combination. The locals just turn their dogs loose at night at precisely 10:00pm and they gang up for the hunt. But the last time I went out to stop them from killing one of our animals, most turned and ran, but a couple of _really_ ratty looking ones turned on me, snarled and looked like they were gonna go for me instead. I just growled back and went after them, and they ran off. But that only works a couple of times before they get brave enough to attack. One of these suckers was almost half as tall as me - and real nasty. I'm pretty sure it was feral.
I've got a shotgun and a pistol, but the law says you can't use 'em. And I'd hate to have a hunk of lead fly through a house full of kids. (There isn't much in these houses substantial enough to stop a bullet - probably #6 buckshot either.) And believe it or not, this is in a subdivision near a major SE city. If'n it comes down to me or them, you better believe they're gonna catch some lead. I really would hate to shoot the neighbor's dogs, but I do wish they would quit turning them loose to run. We keep ours under control. But if I have to clean up one more pile of strewn garbage or step in one more pile of s#$t and slide down the hill on my arse while mowing the lawn...
I've been wanting to get a BB gun, but the local stores won't carry them, and I'd have to either order it, or go to the <gulp> mall. I _really_ hate shopping malls. Just haven't put much effort into it. Haven't owned one since I was a kid - and WAY before this place got this crowded. I wouldn't even know what brand was any good anymore.
Thanks,
Greg G.

<snip>
Sounds like it's time for a big pit trap with spikes at the bottom.
It might work on the dogs too. :)
Mark
Mr. Moose said:

If you only knew...

Just might. I'd be afraid of trapping the UPS guy - can't miss those occasional tool mail orders. I believe they have dead-man trap laws here as well...
(Yea, I know, you're kidding...)
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Crossman 760 is available online for about $60. My constant companion as a wee lad. Pump it up 7 times to scare 'em, 15 times to scare 'em well. (although I never shot a dog, so what do I know.)
er

Enoch Root said:

Putting it that way sounds so.... evil... Wouldn't want to hurt 'em, just make 'em leave.
Greg G.
Greg G. (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| Enoch Root said: | || Crossman 760 is available online for about $60. My constant || companion as a wee lad. Pump it up 7 times to scare 'em, 15 times || to scare 'em well. (although I never shot a dog, so what do I || know.) | | Putting it that way sounds so.... evil... | Wouldn't want to hurt 'em, just make 'em leave.
I have my own take on that. I looked out to check on the kids (then aged 3 and 4) and saw a large dog dragging my youngest by the arm away from the house. Fired the first round down into the flower bed beside the front porch to offer discouragement and distraction. The dog dropped my son and ran toward the barn - it was about ten feet from the door when I patted it on the head with a second .223 (and to reassure dog lovers, it neither heard, saw, or felt the bullet.)
I'm not sure how or why I happened to chose that particular instant to check on the boys; but I've never felt even a little evil about reacting as I did. Neither have I felt much resonance with the anti-gun folks.
Sun, Nov 6, 2005, 2:14am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@iedu.com (MorrisDovey) sayeth: I have my own take on that. <snip> large dog dragging my youngest by the arm <snip> Neither have I felt much resonance with the anti-gun folks.
Well, I happen to be a dog lover. And, think you did exactly the right thing. I also think you are either a fantastic shot, or very lucky, hitting a running dog. Ah yes, the anti-gun folks - those are the ones who expect you to call the police, and have them "protect" you and yours. It almost makes one wish they would find themselves in a similar position, except with no firearm handy. I live out in the country, and "fast" response would take around 15 minutes to reach me, minimum, from the time of the 911 call - that is, IF I had time to place one. Let's see, 15 minutes - that means whoever has 5 minutes to beat me to death, 5 minutes to ransack my place, looking for valluables I don't own, and then 5 minutes to walk away. Hmm, walking pace of 5 miles per hour, he could probably be around 1/2 mile away - on foot. That does not compute.
J T (in snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3334.bay.webtv.net) said:
| Well, I happen to be a dog lover. And, think you did exactly | the right thing. I also think you are either a fantastic shot, or | very lucky, hitting a running dog. Ah yes, the anti-gun folks - | those are the ones who expect you to call the police, and have them | "protect" you and yours. It almost makes one wish they would find | themselves in a similar position, except with no firearm handy. I | live out in the country, and "fast" response would take around 15 | minutes to reach me, minimum, from the time of the 911 call - that | is, IF I had time to place one. Let's see, 15 minutes - that means | whoever has 5 minutes to beat me to death, 5 minutes to ransack my | place, looking for valluables I don't own, and then 5 minutes to | walk away. Hmm, walking pace of 5 miles per hour, he could | probably be around 1/2 mile away - on foot. That does not compute.
Thanks. I am (was, I haven't fired a shot in over twenty years) a fairly good shot. Was on match rifle team all through high school, used up all the ammo Uncle Sam provided, and enjoyed hunting until I bought a home in Minnesota with its own patch of woods - when I began doing most of my shooting with a camera. The rifle was a Colt Sporter-1 (M16 sans third selector switch position) with a 3-9X Bushnell. The .223 trajectory is so flat that it seems nearly line-of-sight, which makes missing almost difficult. I remember that "time warp" feeling in which the world seemed to slow to a crawl while I took slow and deliberate aim (probably between heartbeats) and gently squeezed off the shot.
My Minnesota home was similarly "remote" to fire and police services. Police and fire folks took a half hour or more to show up - and the closest animal control folks were on the far side of the county.
My son was a bit frightened but not hurt. Things happened so quickly that he didn't realize what was going on until it was all over - but then he was hustled into the house for milk and cookies before he had much chance to think abut it.
Hugs and home made toll house cookies have the remarkable property of restoring kids' emotional equilibrium almost instantly. :-)
$60??? I just bought a 760B at wally world for...25, 30 bucks. Nice little gun.
John
Sun, Nov 6, 2005, 12:54am snipped-for-privacy@electron.com (GregG.) sayeth: Animal control doesn't come- but if they did, the dogs would either be gone or the neighbors would get all pissy about it.<snip> But I think it's a combination. The locals just turn their dogs loose at night at precisely 10:00pm and they gang up for the hunt. But the last time I went out to stop them from killing one of our animals, most turned and ran, but a couple of _really_ ratty looking ones turned on me, snarled and looked like they were gonna go for me instead. I just growled back and went after them, and they ran off. <snip> I've got a shotgun and a pistol, but the law says you can't use 'em. <snip>
If it was me, I don't think my neighbors would be bery happy with me after a bit. First thing I'd probably do is check the leash laws. Then I'd be a good neighbor, and visit them, and tell them of the problems I've been having, politely remind them of the law, and say how very sad I would feel to have to call animal control and/or the law about dogs running loose. Then I think I'd set some live traps, and call animal control if I caught any. I'd also notify the local law enforcement agency(s), and tell them I was fearful for my safety. Feral dogs have been known to attack. I understand they're quite a problem in GA. I'd probably start calling the law if the dogs kept coming. I believe I would also ask them about self-defense, after all, no one should be able to be afraid to go out at night in their own yard. One thing I would NOT do is growl at a large dog if I was unarmed, preferably a shogtun with buckshot, rather than a pistol, especially if I ought it might be feral. Like I say, if I were in your position I think I might be just a tad unpopular with my neighbors after awhile. I live out of town, on a loop road. Neighbors all around, but I'd still be willing to shoot a dog coming at me. So would they. You might want to get some binoculars, so check if any dogs are with, or without tags. Then tell amimal control there's dogs with no tags. And you think they belong to one of your neighbors. Heheheh Hmm, now that I think of it, a paintball gun might come in handy. Yellow paint, of course. Be kind of hard for a neighbor to deny to authorities his/her dog has been running free, when it's splattered with paint. My neighbors would probably wind up hating me. Heh heh.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green
J T said:

Yea, I know. If it weren't for the better half, they would all probably hate me. She's the type that calls the garage door repairman, who wants to sell a new opener and changes the springs out so that the opener has to pull 4 times it's normal weight, and then won't let me call them to make it right when I find out about it.
That's why I do everything around here...

You got that right.

Didn't have much choice. I was there in the dark, and these things popped out of the woods. It was flee or scare them off. If I had run, I guarantee you they WOULD have pursued. I learned as a kid from the neighbors three legged dog about that one. It only had three legs, but it could run as fast as any 12 year old. And mean as h#$l. Loud and startling is the key... once or twice...

Yup, if it's him or me, he's going down. I had a friend years ago that had Dobermans - he loved them to death. For some unknown reason, one of the pups (then grown) attacked his kid. Wouldn't let up. He ended up shooting the dog.

That's a pretty good idea, But it has to be really bright yellow...
Greg G.
Sun, Nov 6, 2005, 4:07am snipped-for-privacy@electron.com (GregG.) doth said: <snip>Didn't have much choice. I was there <snip>That's a pretty goodidea, But it has to be really bright yellow...
Yep, man on the spot, no one can make the call but him. Can't argue with that.
I'm not up on that stuff, but seems to me they have some in florescent yellow. If you go that route, mention my name. LMAO
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green

http://search.ebay.com/bb-gun_W0QQcatrefZC3QQfromZR2
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 00:01:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

From the Arizona Daily Star Archives.
"Dog shot; man faces felonies October 18, 2005 259 words ID: MERLIN_3338203 A 50-year-old security guard faces felony charges in the fatal shooting of a dog Monday morning in a Midtown neighborhood, authorities said. The shooting occurred as the dog's owner tried to corral the animal, which had escaped by digging under a fence, said Sgt. Ramon Batista, a Tucson Police Department spokesman. The owner, whose name was not released, was not injured, but police said the dog was struck by one of three bullets discharged from a handgun...."
See the problem here is the other two bullets.
Sun, Nov 6, 2005, 8:18am (EST-2) n7ws*@*yahoo.com (WesStewart) has posted: From the Arizona Daily Star Archives. "Dog shot; man faces felonies October 18, 2005 259 words ID: MERLIN_3338203 A 50-year-old security guard faces felony charges in the fatal shooting of a dog Monday morning in a Midtown neighborhood, authorities said. The shooting occurred as the dog's owner tried to corral the animal, which had escaped by digging under a fence, said Sgt. Ramon Batista, a Tucson Police Department spokesman. The owner, whose name was not released, was not injured, but police said the dog was struck by one of three bullets discharged from a handgun...." See the problem here is the other two bullets.
Unless the shooter, or someone else, was actively being attacked by the dog, which was apparently not the case, there would appear to be no reason to shoot - except for stupidity. Lots of that going around.
JOAT If it ain't broke, don't lend it. - Red Green
Huh. My Dad made a bunch of traps just like that when I was a kid. Worked pretty good too.
John
On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 19:29:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

JOAT, I sometimes wonder just what you are searching for when you find these gems.
re. Live traps - if you are trapping skunks too small is better than too big. They will squeeze into a pretty tight space, but if you give them room to move around in the trap - watch out!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com