Live Skunk Trap Question

What do you do if your live trap catches a skunk? It seems like the usual stuff in trunk and relocate plan will have a hitch. Just curious so far.

Reply to
Ron Hardin

According to Ron Hardin :

I've never done this myself, but it's of interest to me because I _might_ have to do it someday.

I remember hearing something about this on the radio years ago from a guy specializing in skunk removal...

Skunks are reluctant to spray. Given half a chance, they give you plenty of warning. Stomping feet, etc. So, they usually have to have a really good reason before they'll do it.

If you quietly approach the trap holding a big chunk of old carpet in front of you, gently place it over the trap, and be careful carrying the carpet-wrapped trap around, the skunk will not spray.

If the skunk does spray, the carpet will contain it - or at least that's the theory.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com says... :) What do you do if your live trap catches a skunk? It seems like the :) usual stuff in trunk and relocate plan will have a hitch. Just curious :) so far. :) :) Drape a dark tarp over the cage is suppose to keep them from spraying, though I would think just transporting them in a car trunk would have lingering odors...call animal control to remove them if that is an option.

Reply to
Lar

Whatever you do and i hope its humane get a Skunk smell remover before you do it . I think its tomatoe juice and something else . Get a gallon or 2 , you may need it. Skunks eat rodents , are good, but you caught one and were unlucky, give it a break if you can. But honestly i feel sorry for you you may get smelled no matter what. Oh well its always something isnt it....

Reply to
m Ransley

This is Turtle.

When I was in high School i would run Traps to catch animals to sell for fur like Mink, Coon, Fox, and Otters. Every once in a while we would catch a Skunk and there is only one way to get the trap off him without him spraying you or your trap. Get you a 22 rifle with Long Rifle hollow point bullets and shoot him in one eye and out the other eye. if you do this it will clip his brain and he will not spray at all. It will kill him dead as a hammer in one swift shot. Now do shoot from a safe distance to not get spraied by him. If you miss , well come back in about 30 days to get your trap for the smell will break down by then.

Now I will tell you if you catch him in a inclosed cage or screen up housing. He is going spray you or the area when you get near him. I think there is going to be no way to stop him from spraing no matter how you try to get him out. You will have to kill him with one swift shot or blow in less than 1 second. More time than that , you or the area is going to smell.

Now if you would use a double spring coon trap and when you catch him. Shoot him in the head as describe above or shoot him in the head with a 12 Ga. Shotgun. You better do in one quick swift shot or the smell will be around you or on you.

And yes , Tomato juice and Baking Soda mix will kill a lot of the oder out.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

About ten years ago I had an entertaining afternoon. I looked out of my office window and saw that the maintenance crew had caught a skunk in a trap. They weren't too bright since they had set out to catch a skunk but didn't know what to do with it once they had it. (It gave new meaning to "be careful what you wish for...you may get it.)

Several different groups tried various approaches. All got small doses of spray. OSHA may now have an MSDS for skunk spray.

Finally a good ole' boy showed up and shooed them all away. he took a tarp, held it in front of himself and approached the trap slowly, put it over the trap slowly and slid away quietly. About an hour later he came back and hooked the trap under the tarp and lifted the trap, covered by the tarp and carried it off. Experience must be worth something.

RB

R> What do you do if your live trap catches a skunk? It seems like the

Reply to
RB

Dr Jack White

Actually, it's baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and baby shampoo. Bathe in it. We've had to use this on our dog many times, and it works.

Reply to
L Beck