ain't it cute?

Hey Guys,

Ain't it cute when a plumbing question gets crossed posted on our board and the DIYers? And, by the way, my hatred for pedestal sinks was reinforced today.

Mikey

Reply to
Mike Grooms

i hear ya, my pet peeve is to go trim out a ped that I have not roughed in. worst is when the drain height is just low enough so you need an extension but not quite low enough for the extension to fit. (we stock extra long tubes for this) also hate trying to get the supplys into the compression fittings on the stops. (i use female adapters with chrome nipples so i dont havr to lift the sink to insert the supplys; i just rotate the nipple to a 45 and bend the supply into it then turn it up and straighten the supply.)

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Ned, for your supply tubes, use flexible (steel braid). It's a lot easier to work with. Also, put all that shit together before you install the pedestal so you spend as little time back there as possible. And finally, I assume you also put a bead of silicone between the pedestal and the lavatory.

What height do you prefer to use on a pedestal sink? I've had that problem before. We switched to a toto pedestal that is open in the back all the way down. It makes it a lot easier to work.

I had one guy rough in for a pedestal sink...but he didn't think ahead and decided to use a studor vent (thinking he could install a vent in the cabinet). That was fun.

Reply to
Blackbeard

I dont use braided supply lines where visible as they dont look professional. Lots of my ped installs come with waterworks stops and supplys. (polished nikle) i attach my supply to the valve first before i set sink then i set sink with a piece of cork not silicone although i dont have a problem with silicone. I do silicone the sink to the wall per our code.(to seal it) i like 19 to 21 inches for drain and just above for the stops. this works for kholer i like. i stock tailpieces that are 1 foot long so i discard the one that came with po and use this custum fit when needed (no more extensions). if customer wants to supply ped i will not rough it in untill i get specs or sink is on site.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

I am no plumber, & I just posted here to resolve a problem I had with a plugged/slow toilet. I just happened to read this thread. I am not exactly what you would call a DIYer, but putting in a faucet or a toilet is not beyond me. No way could I do any major plumbing job. I apologize in advance if I offend the pro's with the following comments/opinions.

Stainless steel corrodes. Certain chemicals melt through stainless rather quickly. Mainly chlorine based. I am surprised to see that the plumbing industry is using stainless steel braid in this application. Seems risky to me!

Reply to
Bruin

"Bruin"

You did not offend us with your question. We like to have folks ask us stuff; it makes us feel significant. What I find cute is when a plumbing question is asked here and at "alt.home.repair" or some other non-professional group. The anwers you get from the women and old farts and handymen are infuriating.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Mike Grooms posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Mike, that last word you used is rather mild. I would think dangerous, stupid, moronic and some other words that don't occur to me right now...

Reply to
Tekkie®