Lee Valley praises

Page 2 of 3

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid%0&addtohistory=&address=&city=midland&state=tx&zipcode=&submit=Get+Map
What's that Texas? I said I wanted to get out of the cold, not move to where I'd melt. We're talking reasonable here son. I hear Texans are big on barbequing and that's a plus in my books, so I might visit sometime, but I think the heat would do me in mighty quick.

flat
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid%0&addtohistory=&address=&city=midland&state=tx&zipcode=&submit=Get+Map

where
Oh sure - start throwing in the qualifiers now! "We really wanted a two-story house." "Nice, but we need a bigger back yard!" "Too far from the grocery store." "Too close to the Maximum Security Prison."
Drove your realtor nuts, didn't ya? :)
'Sides - think of Texas as one giant Kiln Dryer. Be real good for your rough cut wood.

Totally OT of me, but so what? (Like that would be new?) ;>
Clicking on your map link and panning out a bit, I remembered a couple of Geography trivia I'd forgotten:
-El Paso, Texas is closer to L.A. than it is to the Eastern border of Texas. (!)
-If you want to go west, go to Los Angeles. If you want to go farther west, you'll want to go to Reno, Nevada. ;>
Michael Cartography nut.
Bonus cartographic trivia question: In which country is the East Coast west of the West Coast and the West Coast east of the East Coast? (This country lies entirely within one hemisphere-- that is, there is no "date-line" hanky-panky involved.)

Yup. And not just in miles. <g>
-- Mark (5 years on Ft. Bliss, TX, adjacent to El Paso)
Took basic training at Fort Bliss, then back there again after OCS for a year before going overseas. Being a flatlander, I loved looking at the Franklin Mtns with the sun behind them, sitting on the first base line of the old El Paso Sun Kings minor league ball park, with a cold beer in hand, enjoying that peaceful stillness peculiar to the desert at sunset.
What I didn't like was marching 12 miles to the rifle range through foot deep desert sand ... my Achilles tendons have never been the same.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04
Swingman wrote:

When was that? I was OCS 5-85. Ft. Benning's School for Boys... <g>

I hear you. I grew up in western South Dakota where you could always see at least 5 miles in some direction. Been in the Washington DC area for 15 years but I still don't consider myself a Maryland'er. Too many trees & people -- no vistas! <g>

The Army's big on those LPC's (leather personnel carriers). Whatever your MOS, everyone is an 11B when push comes to shove.
My son is in his last week of basic in Ft. Sill. I thought he'd join the Air Force so he wouldn't have to walk everywhere. Guess he want's to show the old man up. I was in the "special emphasis" PT group in basic. He was smart enough to go in nearly maxing the PT test. His experience is a LOT different from mine. <G>
-- Mark
P.S. The best 10 seconds of my life was firing 100 rounds of 20mm ammo through a Vulcan.
"Mark Jerde" wrote in message

OCS 4-68, Commanche County Canon Cockers College, Ft Sill, OK ... ;>)

Tell me about it. Serverd with an ARVN Ranger Btn in RVN, and although an Artillery 02 FO at the time, I took every step they took ... well close, they averaged about two steps to my one.

was
My hat's off to him.

LOL ... I took great comfort in my midnight requistioned M79 Grenade Launcher with buckshot rounds. On a very personal level, it'd put about the same number of projectiles in the air with one shot. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

Yep, There's a lot of us here in MD just because of our jobs. My wife gets pissed when I refer to "serving my sentence on the East coast" and tells me to make the best of it. I came from Washington State and would love to go back but I think we're going to end up in NH as she grew up in New England and misses it and I think I culd be happy there (with the right shop!)
Allen Catonsville, MD
Mark Jerde wrote:

That's because you live near DC. Try going to western Maryland. If you can't see for five miles it's because of the vistas getting in your way. :)
(Not that I'm advocating Maryland as a place to live, mind you, but if I had to live in Maryland, Cumberland would be OK.)
Silvan wrote:

Been there several times. Didn't get the tee shirt. ;-)
True, there are places you can *go* in MD where there are good views. IMO it's different from western SD, western Nebraska, eastern Wyoming and eastern Montana. Most places there have good views. (Eastern SD, MN, IL & ID are too flat for my liking.)
I'm a cloud nut. I especially like watching thunderheads building & churning. The great plains is the place to be for that hobby.

Last time I drove through to Morgantown WV I noticed all that beautiful hardwood just waiting to be made into lumber. <g>
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Don't get *too* carried away. I'm still a tree nut at heart.

You call _ID_ *flat*??? They farm 3 sides of every acre up there. My uncle has a 'hill' on the far side of the stream in his back yard, that goes _nearly_ straight up almost 1500 ft. That's a 1500' "rise" in a "run" of less than 100 ft.
Mebbie you meant _IA_. Although it isn't all that flat, either. Des Moines Iowa, in the middle of the state, has a 400+ ft difference in elevation between the highest (1016') and lowest (585') points in town.

Robert Bonomi wrote:

The dangers of generalization and ignorance. <g> The part I drove through from IL to OH was flat.
Parts of western SD don't have great views either. ;-)
-- Mark

How, pray tell, did you go through *IDAHO*, going from IL to OH??

Wildly variable, there. There are expanses of very flat territory, and then there are the Black "hills", which are big/rugged enough to qualify as mountains in many places.
I've been up to the top of some of those 'hills' -- Forest Ranger fire- spotting station, in point of fact. A 4-story building on the top of the highest point in the area. (Note there were metal tower about 50' away, on three sides of the structure -- some of the heaviest 'lightning rods' I've ever seen. :) The top story was panoramic glass, from waist level, to the ceiling. About a 16x16 room, with an 8' square 'table' (covered with a map of the territory) in the middle of it.
Great for sky watching. Sometimes you were looking _down_ on clouds in the valleys. <grin>
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Oh, duh. ;-)

I'm a Sturgis HS alumni, class of 1977. Did a lot of hunting in the hills.

A college friend was lucky enough to get a summer job watching for fires from one of the lookouts. I envied her. ;-)

snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) writes:
[...]

Sounds very flat, just not horizontal...

*chuckle*
There was the occasional 'small' (i.e. 70' or so) pine tree growing 'out of' it. (On occasion, rock would split off and come crashing down. I saw that happen, a couple of times, with just small stuff. My cousin says it was "impressive" the day a tree from halfway up the 'hill' ended up in the stream.)
Aside from that, yeah, not a lot of variance on 'Z' axis.
Quite a bit of excursion on the 'X' axis, however, as you proceed along the 'Y' axis.

;-) The USA is one. Head west from the left coast & eventually you'll get to the right coast.
-- Mark
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:29:40 +0000, Michael Baglio wrote:

Dat'd be Panama, i tink.
-Doug