Lee Valley praises

Everybody seems to be singing the praises of LV. Well I for one am not happy . They moved in to this area a couple of years back, although I've only been going there for several months. They keep sending me their catalogues, you know Tools, Hardware, and Gardening. You just know that in their latest there will be something that you "need". Well it seems that I'm always in there with my sparse spare cash. My other hobbies are suffering and it don't seem right. Now the SWMBO is taken to browsing the catalogues as well. Its getting so that I can't sneak off the LV without some company. I don't believe it right that one company should get so much of my attention. Its a good thing winter came along so that I can't work out in my garage. So I have turned some attention to my photo hobby(going to photo my first hockey game next week). However LV is very sneaky. I see that they have an IR heater that would no doubt work very well in the garage. They must have put that in there so that guys like me would continue to patronize them in the winter. I mentioned this heater to the SWMBO, so if you don't hear from me you know I'm back out in the garage. Ken, temporarily not makin dust in NS

Reply to
ken

I've been eyeballing that heater! Has anyone used one? Would it keep me from freezing in my uninsulated shop if I hung it over my bench? Or is it a gimmick?

Reply to
Blue

I've got one in my garage. It works well if you are standing close to it, but is by no stretch a space heater (but it isn't meant to be either). If you were to put it over your bench, I expect it would work quite well for you.

The version with the light in the middle wasn't available when I bought mine. Too bad, it would be handy.

...Mike

Reply to
Mike Alexander

I was going to send for one but drove 5 miles to Lowes and picked up an identical one. (same brand name with the light) It was $10 cheaper and I didn't have to pay any postage on it and no wait. George

Reply to
George G

Reply to
Blue

Hard to say, since I don't know how cold it gets where you are. Where I am (Ottawa, Canada), tomorrow's high is -21C (-6F), and at that temperature, I would probably need to be within 8-10 feet of it for it to be effective.

...Mike

Reply to
Mike Alexander

Reply to
Blue

For us up here in Canada, (I'm in Toronto), 23°F would be like a summer's day. It's not as cold here as in Ottawa, but it's still a might nippy out there. Don't why I'm here actually, I hate the cold. I've actually considered moving to the US. Any state where the landscape is mostly flat and it doesn't get colder than 40°F would be like heaven to me.

Reply to
Upscale

Yow. Sounds boring, but...I like mountains and know your reasons for liking flatland. Northern Florida might do you well. What is called a hill there is called a bump elsewhere, a lot like much of Ohio back from the river (too cold there, though).

IIRC, the lowest temperature I saw in Jacksonville (many years ago, though), was in December at around 58 deg. F.

Dunno about January and by February I was at Kaneohe Bay, HI. Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

Put a minus sign in front of that, and you have our expected low for tonight.

...Mike

Reply to
Mike Alexander

I'm ok with mountains, as long as they're all downhill. I used to like mountains and the outdoors too, fishing and hunting, but them days are gone. Saw a blurb on a news service too long ago saying that someone compared Kansas to a pancake and Kansas is flatter.

Reply to
Upscale

Upscale responds:

I'm getting that way with my bad knees. I can't comment on Kansas, never having been there. Arkansas a few times, but that's not flat. Or not all flat.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

There's a wide spot in the road called Why, Arizona. I can imagine the covered wagon crawling across the desert and pulling to a stop. The husband says "This is it." The wife says "Why?"

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

|I'm ok with mountains, as long as they're all downhill. I used to like |mountains and the outdoors too, fishing and hunting, but them days are gone. |Saw a blurb on a news service too long ago saying that someone compared |Kansas to a pancake and Kansas is flatter.

My wife and I are trying to visit all of the states before we croak. This past summer we were in our RV and traveling through Colorado where we visited Great Sand Dunes National Monument. Near there is a place called Zapata Falls which involves a short hike to reach. Getting the best view of the falls requires getting your feet wet and there were some folks sitting on a bench changing shoes.

We struck up a conversation with a woman and the subject turned to where we were all from. The woman said she was from Kansas and my wife said, "Oh, we're going there next."

With a puzzled look on her face the woman said, "Why?"

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Mike Alexander wrote in news:7rcLb.28898$AJB.17504 @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

They're predicting a high of 78 for Saturday in Phoenix. Neener, neener.

Reply to
Jerry Maple

|Blue wrote: |> Mike, |> How close is "close"? Maybe I should get a Mr. Heater propane with a blower. |> | |Hard to say, since I don't know how cold it gets where you are. Where I |am (Ottawa, Canada), tomorrow's high is -21C (-6F),

That is the all-time recorded *low* temperature for Tucson . January 7, 1913. Exactly 91 years later (yesterday) it was was 40 F (low) and 70 F (high). Supposed to get to 77 tomorrow. Brr.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

|There's a wide spot in the road called Why, Arizona.

Why that's only a few miles west of me. (Sorry I couldn't help myself)

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Jerry Maple wrote in :

Whatever. My beer will be colder than yours. Oh, wait -- USans don't have beer. Forget that I mentioned it, Jerry.

Neener. };O)

Reply to
DC

mttt

What's that Texas? I said I wanted to get out of the cold, not move to where I'd melt. We're talking reasonable here son. I hear Texans are big on barbequing and that's a plus in my books, so I might visit sometime, but I think the heat would do me in mighty quick.

Upscale