Poor Man Mortises

Anyone see them build the yellow pine workbench on The Ultimate Workshop (DIY) this week? They used a forestner bit and drill press do drill the mortises then cleaned them up with a chisel. OK, not SUPER innovative but probably faster and less noisy than using a router for this low precision workbench.

Reply to
Bruce

Yep. I've done many a mortise this way. Now I use the router and do loose tenons almost exclusively. Got tired of unnecessary chiseling. :-)

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I built a Tudor style bench with 50 mortises that way. It works, but I had a hard time getting the precision fit I'd like. Convinced me to buy a mortising machine. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Well that'd be the way they did 'em for years before they had things like routers and mortising machines. Difference would be a brace and bit or just chopping them out by hand with a good mortising chisel.

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Wow, they stole my idea. I came up with that on my own, and since I came up with the idea on my own, and since they did it on TV, somebody owes me money.

Where do I sign up to get my $0.33 in the class action lawsuit sure to follow?

Reply to
Silvan

I also use loose tenon mortises. Fine Woodworking recently had an article on making a jig for this. It was very simple to put together but it took a little while to mark the centerlines accurately (something they stressed to spend a lot of time on). I used this jig in my last project and the joints were dead on. The only investment was a spiral bit for the router.

Reply to
woodydelsur

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a model shop foreman. I asked him how he interviewed job candidates.

*he shows me a fairly simple piece--a large open cavity with a round mounting lug in the middle standing about an inch above the rest of the piece*

"How many ways different ways can you make this."

I've done fixturing on and off, and could come up with five ways.

If you could come up with more than ten, he'd let you prove you could do it using one of his choosing.

He could come up with forty.

He also had a rogues gallary of complicated pieces we engineers "invented" stating how long they took to make, next to a stock item that fulfilled the same need.

Reply to
Charles Krug

Silvan responds:

Sorry, Michael. I first heard of that method when I was 16 or so working in an altar factory in Katonah, NY. That was damned near 50 years ago, so unless you can collect on th egleam in your daddy's eye, you are SOL.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

You're thinking too logically ... just let a lawyer get hold of the thought. (I started to say "good lawyer", but there ain't no such thing.)

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, Charlie's not thinking 21st century-like here.

I ought to get at least $500 million in damages from the state because Charlie came up with my idea 50 years ago.

Rather, I'll get awarded $500 million, take $3 million, and give the ambulance chaser a $497 million commission... :)

Reply to
Silvan

Coming up with that idea isn't the biggest issue. Its coming up with the methods of doing them consistently and quickly that take some extra creativity.

Reply to
David Binkowski

Silvan responds:

You wish. You get 50K. The lawyer gets 497 mil, and expenses take anything between the 2 figures.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:33:27 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

Bzzzzt! Uncle Sam takes his $350M right off the top. Expenses take another $6 mil (lunches + kickback to attorney's siblings and secretary). The Speaking Weasel himself takes $141,999,999.99 You buy new houses for yourself, both sets of parents, and siblings on both sides, new cars for yourself, SWMBO, and the kids. You're now left with the whopping sum of $453.22 and everyone you know is hounding you for moneyfor their special cause/need/whim. Women are throwing themselves at you and you come home with a bad case of...oops! Your phone rings off the hook with people claiming to be relatives trying to get in on the windfall. You had quit your job because of all the money and your boss won't let you come back, not with -THAT- attitude.

Yeah, money is good.

Did I tell you that my ship came in a couple weeks ago? My portion of the Microsoft settlement was a cool TWENTY NINE cents. I put it in the bank and am going to live off the wild interest they're giving out nowadays.

what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Larry Jaques

I'll take 50K. I'll take $50. Where do I sign up?

Reply to
Silvan

Hmmm... Women throwing themselves on me instead of throwing up on themselves when they see me? Where do I sign up for this?

Microsoft settlement? Do they owe me money too? I want my 29 cents.

Reply to
Silvan