Lee Valley Magnetic Tool Bars

Page 1 of 2
My wife bought me a magnetic tool bar from Lee Valley (99k45.01) for Christmas. I'm not sure why - she thought it was something I could use. I've used magnetic tool holders before and was never impressed.
This one is different.
This sucker has a lot of strength. I mounted it on the wall by the lathe, and filled it's 13" span with my longer lathe gouges. I was amazed - not only did it hold them, but it held them quite firmly - no slipping, etc. I had 8 long gouges, plus some lathe wrenches hanging off this thing and it held!!
I went out and bought 3 more. I now have all my lathe gouges mounted right by my lathe for easy access.
These things are great. I'm going to pick up about 10 more and mount a pile of hand tools around the shop.
Thanks for the quality item !!!!!!!!!!!!
Brian

Yeah, I was surprised. I use one to hang frequently used screwdrivers and pliers, and I find it's a bit too strong. Probably better suited for heavier tools.

right
There's a substantial group of turners who say magnetized tools interfere with their ability to finesse a tool on an iron rest.
I never could understand why, but I have had my lathe tools, and a few others mounted on magnetic bars for years.

lathe,
not
it
I used to have ,magnetic tool holders, the only problem was that my screwdrivers and two chisels became magnetized. Now often a magnetized screwdriver is handy, but not when you don't want it to be. Also when sharpening the chisels the metal removed sticks to the chisel.
I removed the magnets from the tool holder and use them for fridge magnets.

You know to demagnetize a screw driver or other tool you simply rub the tool along the magnet a couple of strokes. To magnetize that tool simply rub the too in the opposite direction a couple of strokes.

I had sort of a similar problem... My lathe chisels are hung on a long metal drawer slide with rare earth magnets on it, that extends out from a parts cart... after a week or so, I found that they were sticking to each other and to anything metal that they got near..
I'm picking up a demagnetizer at OSH today.. a friend said that a few passes will solve my problem, and I'll invest 5 or 6 bucks to find out..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

A quick smack or two with a hammer will demagnetize it
Dave

Yeah right, that'll be the day I mar and dent my fine chisels to demag them...! NOPE!
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Dave.. you smack your lathe chisels with a hammer?? OUCH!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Nope, I don't store them on a magnet. They rest comfortably in a drawer just ready to serve!
Dave

I tried that for a while... had this problem, especially when turning green stuff, that the drawer filled up with shavings and crap.. yuk! I'm way to unorganized to close the drawer each chisel change, so hanging them works.. (sorta)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
of a similar problem...

Before buying the demagnetizer rub the magnet along the tool a few times to demagnetize it. Rubbing a magnet along a tool will magnetize it and rubbing in the opposite direction will demagnetize it.

damn! I was wondering why it was advertised as a "magnetizer/de-magnetiger...
I have a big bar magnet that I can use... thanks, Leon!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Do you think an electrical handheld tape head demagnetizer would work?
I have an old one still sealed in it's original package from radio shack, and two magnetic tool bars from rockler, I wonder if it would work. Gonna try it sometime.
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Okay yeah... will try it out. I took a look at it, it is a Tusa brand from Signal electronics, still sealed. Thanks C-dubbya!
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

over
'Nother real easy magnetizer/demagnetizer . . . Do you own a soldering gun? I mean a *real* soldering "gun", like a Weller or Wen, not one of those fakey irons with a pistol grip.
To magnetize, put the tool(screwdriver, chisel, etc.) inside the tip, turn the gun on and then off, voila', instant magnet.(May have to try it a time or two, depending on the state of the magnetic field when you release the trigger).
To demagnetize, turn the gun on, slowly pass the tool through the same area, then turn the gun off AFTER removing the tool.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

interfere
Might, but the right-angle business works if you care to use it.
Personally, I've always felt the proper place for the lathe tools when in use was on the rest. Magnetic attraction helps keep 'em there.
I've been "turning for tuition" through two and three quarters bachelors' degrees, and on those rare occasions where I put the tools back where they belong instead of hiding them as a trap for unwary fingers in the shavings, they go on the magnetic bars.
<snip>

thanks, George.. you've made me feel mush better.. I thought it was just me that has a place for everything and almost nothing in it's place.. *g*