Lee Valley Magnetic Tool Bars

I've had one in my toolbox for years. My toools get magnitized from use over time (I'm a machinist). The tape demagnitizer takes care of it.

Reply to
CW

Never dreamed I'd get in! I just lusted after the prize so much, I submitted something. You should submit something, too. Good luck!

Reply to
Never Enough Money

Hmm, this reminds me of a failed computer accessory of some years ago. The magnetic diskette storage bar..=20

:-)

Doug Warner

Okay yeah... will try it out. I took a look at it, it is a Tusa brand from Signal electronics, still sealed. Thanks C-dubbya!

Reply to
AAvK

I don't use a magnetized holder yet all my turning tools are magnetized. I can feel them pull to the tool rest, but other than that I have no problems with the magnetism.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

This reminds me . . . Quite a few years back (remember the big, black floppies that were actually floppy?) I was teaching an intro computer class for the college of education (teachers to be). The students had to save their work on a floppy and bring it in for evaluation. This one student was all a fluster because there was nothing readable on his disk and asked if I could help him retrieve his data. I couldn't. I tried to find out what happened and finally learned. So he wouldn't forget to bring his floppy to class he hung it on his refrigerator with a magnet. That'll do it!

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Might, but the right-angle business works if you care to use it.

Personally, I've always felt the proper place for the lathe tools when in use was on the rest. Magnetic attraction helps keep 'em there.

I've been "turning for tuition" through two and three quarters bachelors' degrees, and on those rare occasions where I put the tools back where they belong instead of hiding them as a trap for unwary fingers in the shavings, they go on the magnetic bars.

Reply to
George

'Nother real easy magnetizer/demagnetizer . . . Do you own a soldering gun? I mean a *real* soldering "gun", like a Weller or Wen, not one of those fakey irons with a pistol grip.

To magnetize, put the tool(screwdriver, chisel, etc.) inside the tip, turn the gun on and then off, voila', instant magnet.(May have to try it a time or two, depending on the state of the magnetic field when you release the trigger).

To demagnetize, turn the gun on, slowly pass the tool through the same area, then turn the gun off AFTER removing the tool.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:56:37 GMT, the inscrutable igor spake:

And then some. Try "nom de Wreck" next time, wot? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Dave.. you smack your lathe chisels with a hammer?? OUCH!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

damn! I was wondering why it was advertised as a "magnetizer/de-magnetiger...

I have a big bar magnet that I can use... thanks, Leon!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

thanks, George.. you've made me feel mush better.. I thought it was just me that has a place for everything and almost nothing in it's place.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Nope, I don't store them on a magnet. They rest comfortably in a drawer just ready to serve!

Dave

TeamCasa

I tried that for a while... had this problem, especially when turning green stuff, that the drawer filled up with shavings and crap.. yuk! I'm way to unorganized to close the drawer each chisel change, so hanging them works.. (sorta)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis