Kobalt 10pc pliers and wrench set at Lowes, $39.99

Saw this this weekend:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId'8610-16878-50943&detail=cr&lpage=none
Too good to be true? One concern could be that the "fancy rubber handles" might break off, but they appeared pretty robust.
Go for it, or go to Sears (instead)?
Bill

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId'8610-16878-50943&detail=cr&lpage=none
` end
For what all that information is worth, the set you have indicated is the same set I bought and it has the China stamp in the tools.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId'8610-16878-50943&detail=cr&lpage=none
I bought that set last Spring, gor about $20 IIRC. Anyway it is a good set and the tools are larger for larger hands. The handles have been no problem.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId'8610-16878-50943&detail=cr&lpage=none
sets are featured from time to time. If you want to buy some basic tool at a good price, now is the time. All the retail and big box stores that usually sell tools have "christmas packages" of tools.
I ended up buying a set of pliers from both sears and home depot by accident. (brain fart, maybe?) For as often as I use them, they will probably outlive me. And the did the job jusrt fine when I used them. At these prices, You will probably lose them or have them stolen before they break.

All I really was looking for was a good set of vise-grips, and then I noticed Lowes had a set of 4 vise-grip-like tools for $19.99, then I noticed their 10 piece set for $39.99. Then I got suspicious ... ; )
The jaw of the large vise-grips met more like 2 claws compared to the flatter jaws that I remember (on dad's). I think in a tough situation (when you'd pull these out) I'd prefer the latter type. Sears didn't have just what I was looking for either, but I'll look again. The jaws are more important than the grips.
Bill

The ones that look like claws are intended for round objects (pipe, etc) Kobalt also has the straight jaws. Lowe's also sells Irwin and Vise Grip Locking pliers as does Home Depot and Sears.

Max

OOPs, I think Vise Grip *is* Irwin now.
Max

Max,
Thank you for pointing that that style of vise-grips is for objects with a round cross-section (didn't know that). Now, I am more likely to be using the right one for the right job!
Bill

You're welcome. I have more "vise grips" than I need but not as many as I want. :-)
Max
Bill wrote:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId'8610-16878-50943&detail=cr&lpage=none
Here's a similar set for one-quarter of the price: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber8082
'Course this one only has SIX pliers instead of ten, so it's maybe only 1/3 the price, all things considered.
And before anybody starts raggin' about "Cheap Chinese Junk!," just where are Kobalt tools made?

You don't think there's any difference between Kobalt tools and Harbor Freight.......uh..........."tools"?
Max
Max wrote:

Of course there's a difference! About thirty dollars.

Well, there's frugal and then there's just plain *cheap*.
Frugal Max

My Kobalt tools, the exact ones that the OP referenced are made in China.