KMT-9 - a waterbased laquer replacement - made for brushing on

A luthier (mainly a guitar maker) told me about a new water based laquer replacement - that is a brush on - which rivals laquer - levels really well, builds fast, dries fairly fast and is tough. It's call KMT-9. Not inexpensive - #38.75 a quart. But if you don't have a spray gun - compressed or HVLP - this stuff is said to give you the same quality finish - off a brush.
Scroll down to the KMT-9 mini-article then click the link for more info and details. http://www.lmii.com/
Anyone used KNT-9? Feedback?
Add pictures here
✖

40 bucks a quart? Sounds like some good stuff, but...ouch.
✖
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 06:03:28 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

I have a fairly high end (6k) custom built acoustic guitar that was finished with KMT-9. It's a beautiful finish. The fellow who built it for me uses that stuff exclusively. He loves it.
Add pictures here
✖
Somebody wrote:

SFWIW:
Same price level as a decent marine varnish.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Interesting stuff, charlieb.
I noticed one line, when I RTFA, and that was this one:
"Luthier Mike Doolin says about KTM: It dries really hard and really clear, can accept water or alcohol-based dyes for tinting and colors, and rubs out to a high gloss. It builds, self-levels and >>>>burns into itself well<<<<<. It has very low shrinkage after curing and leveling, and is very resistant to sweat. The resulting finish is the closest I’ve seen to traditional lacquers and varnishes."
Burns into itself well... that's cool. Because that is why I like regular lacquer as much as I do. Great inter-layer-stickability. I have been playing with Acrylic WB finishes from MinWax and Benjamin Moore and have been very pleasantly surprised. I no longer have a proper paint-booth (nor do I want one again... because I love spraying finishes and creating near-perfect finishes, but that is not the track I am on anymore.) but I still need a finishing method sometimes.
The upside of better WB finishes vs lacquer, is more solids by volume. More bang for the buck. I will see if I can find some of that KTM stuff up here in Kanuckistan.
(About that paint-booth...I can see the guys at Luminore changing my mind soon... that stuff is just nuts) http://www.luminore.com /
Add pictures here
✖
I've used it on four or five of the guitars and basses I've built. Mostly on bodies, since I use a satin wipe-on polyurethane (Minwax, actually) on the necks these days. Nice to work with, takes a polish well, and really hard and durable as others have said. The first instrument I used it on was my 12-string guitar, where it has held up really well for 2-1/2 years so far, no sign of wear yet. I used on the body and neck in that case. See my post on RBPW for pictures of three of the instruments. These days it's what I use for high-gloss finishes unless the customer specifically asks for nitrocellulose lacquer.
--Steve in Roseville

Add pictures here
✖