Sizing and Laquer Question

I'm building a martin house from a plan. It called for a 1/2 x 2 eye bolt and a 5/16 x 1 eye bolt. Easy enough... I found the first one which was marked: 1/4-20 x 2. I take it the 20 is a thread count.

I couldn't find the second but another package was marked as 10-24 x

1-1/2. What does the 10-24 mean? I count about 13 threads.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I decided to finish my project with lacquer. Lowes has about a hundred versions of Polyurethane and variations on that. It has plenty of oils, shellac, and mineral spirits, and paints of course. But it had one can of spray on lacquer. This seems odd to me. I'll go to Woodcraft tomorrow if I get a chance but I'm wondering why Lowes wouldn't have more lacquer products. Any ideas?

Richard A.

Reply to
Richard A.

The # 10 is a standard machine screw size, 24 threads per inch. You counted 13 threads because you only had a 1/2" length of threads. Try a box store that has a Krylon display. That brand has been a good source of quality acrylic lacquers for years. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
John W. Fawcett

Reply to
Jim Behning

I just finished a bat house and was surprised at the combination of paints/stains they suggested for the safety of the bats and longevity of the house: water soluable stain for the inside of the bat house, outdoor latex primer for the outside - outside acrylic paint for final coats.

I've found that without some kind (and I'll use the outdoor latex primer from now on) of an outdoor primer that the wood doesn't hold up to outdoor use. Paint just peels off, flakes off, jumps off.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

Sounds like a job for cedar, no?

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles

Bats would probably be happier.

--RC

rcook5

Thanks for all the responses. I'm getting smarter by the minute!! This is an indoor project so I should be safe for lacquer. Building a bat house is something I've been wanting to do, so I love hearing the information.

RA

Reply to
Richard A.