K-body vs Cabinet master

Hi All So I need to purchase another batch of clamps, and am wonding general thoughts on these two models. I have some K Body's and some Gross Stabil ones. I like them both well enough, actually don't have an opinion on which is better. I just got a 10% card in the mail to the orange BORG and thought using it to buy a pile of clamps would be a good use of the savings, only problem is they only carry Cabinet Master clamps at the ones near me. With the savings and the cabinet masters being cheaper anyways they add up to quite a lot less than the K-Bodys.
Any thoughts, will I regret trying to save a couple bucks on something I plan to use until I die?
Thanks in advance
Andrew

IMO, the Bessey is a smoother operating clamp. OTOH, either one will do a good job and if the price is right . . . . .

I own both and like them both. I think the cabinet masters have gone through several iterations so experience with two year old models may not apply. My K-bodies were purchased Dec 2004. They are the latest model with the removable foot on the end of the handle. The cabinet masters were purchased January 2006. I bought the cabinet masters because of price.
I find both brands to be very good and they each seem to have their own "character". The K's tend to engage and cinch up with fewer turns of the screw. The cab-mstr's require a bit more screwing to get them to engage. The cab-mstrs are huge with significantly more surface area than the K's. For small to medium jobs, I like the k's. For some large cabinets I built (40" tall), give me the cab-mstrs! They were much better suited. I have the opposite experience of Ed P. I find the cab-mstrs are much smoother in operation, but that may be refinement that came in the later models.
Bottom line: you won't be giving up anything, but you will be adding a new color to your clamp rack.
While mentioning this, Woodcraft had some very steep discounts on Gros-stabil a few months ago. I almost bought some, but when I researched on the net, I found way too many reports of failures and dissatisfaction so I passed.
Also I'll mention that I may not buy any more Bessey products as well. All of my K-bodies have jaws that do not quite line up consistently. They are parallel but if you look down on the head, the lower jaw tilts slightly to the right - not enough to take back, especially at the price I got. I also bought a set of Bessey edge clamp adaptors (the things that clamp to the F-clamps to convert them to edge clamp service). One of them was cast so crooked it would not sit straight. When I took it to my local dealer, he rolled his eyes and muttered something about the arrogance of the Bessey company. Its been three months now. The Bessey rep wanted to see the defective clamp himself before he would give me another. It took a month before he came by the store. Then he took it, processed an RMA and ordered a replacement. My dealer is out of stock on these and has to wait for his own stock as well.
Bob

You would not happen to be a futures trader, would you?
All in good fun.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

yep, noticed the typo after I posted. Actually you should see the X-7 Unisaw I just ordered - brand new 2007 model. I can hardly wait.
Bob

Chris wrote:

device like some new Sears drills, gimmicky CMS's, etc. oh, and it's cordless too, 1800VDC. It has a frictionless table--think air hockey. I've got my order in already!
Dave
[...]

... together with LaserStop, that shuts the laser down as soon as the reflected light indicates that you start to cut your finger instead of your board. (This is actually not so far from possible: If you would use a pulsed laser for cutting you could inspect the light that comes back fom the cutting point after each pulse and shut down before the nexty one starts)
writes:

I think it might be a good time to introduce the good Dr. to the Stopsaw.
http://www.sawstop.com/media/Table%20Saw%20-%20WMV%20high.wmv
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

Well this will start a war but in magazine tests the Cabinet Masters win out over the K-Bodies. They are reported smother operating and I have witnessed no problems with glue sticking to the bars or faces of the clamps as is reported by some with K-Bodies. As you have witnessed, they are considerably cheaper. They do have larger handles, longer screws, and larger clamping areas.
Leon wrote:

I was just in a commercial shop and the guys there much prefer the Cabinet Masters, primarily because the glue really causes problems with their Besseys. JP

allprotools.com for the Gross Stabils. Good folk to work with.
Patriarch
Having both of these clamps I ask for the Cabinet Masters on my gift lists.
They are larger, heavier, smoother operating, and without the notches in the bar they don't hold glue drops as easily.
They can jam jaw to jaw if you let them slide down after removing them and setting them head first onto the ground. A Strong rap on the ground from the opposite end will release them. My Bessy's don't jam as tight when this happens.
Althought smaller size is nicer sometimes, I just like the heft.
Alan

I don't have that problem with my cabinet masters purchased in Jan 2006 and I store them heads down and closed. Many times I just let the moveable jaw slide down and slam closed but still no problem. On mine, you just grab the wood handle and pull it toward the bar and it releases every time. Maybe there is some subtle improvement in recent models.
Bob
SNIP

I have tested and reviewed both the K-Body clamps and the Cabinet Master clamps. Pretty much on par with each other, but here are the detailed reviews for full information:
Bessy K-Body Clamp Review - http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/besseykbody.htm Jorgensen CabinetMaster Clamp Review - http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/jorgensencabinetmaster.htm
Hope that helps! -- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System - Senco 41XP Finish Nailer (Review Update) - "Orbiter" Drill Accessory - "Vertiacc" Vertical Drill Press Accessory - Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler - Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage ------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry... I need an acronym translated.
BORG? I'll take a wild guess and say Big Orange Retail Giant?

etymology.
Hedley wrote:

Dave
Check the dictionary. The definition is now there in most.