Justifying the Donino.

Page 3 of 4

Sounds like typical home owner affliction. Cheaper to do the job yourself rather than hiring someone, but you need a specific tool to get it done. That's it for the next twenty years until you have a similar task to do again and then you don't remember where you put that tool. If, you remember buying it at all. Then, should you finally find the tool, you realize that what you need to install has changed specs and the tool you bought twenty years earlier is useless.
On 2/10/2012 7:07 PM, Dave wrote:

I ask a lot of "for dummies" questions here, but I'm quite good about organizing my tools. I have three toolboxes: electrical, plumbing and general, plus a well organized wall of hand tools and shelf units for power tools and supplies.
Should an unexpected need arise for that basin wrench, I can lay my hands on it in a minute.

It sounds to me like you don't have enough tools. You have enough tools when you cannot organize them or remember you even have them.

OR... there are no kids, or fathers, or wives, in the house that use tools...
John
Yep, same feeling here. Given time he'll start collecting all sorts of do dads. Many will be necessary... for what??? who knows. Many will be looked at.
And some will actually get used.
8>))))))

I'm not much into magic tools but I will drop money on good ones... even if I don't have an immediate need for the tool. All the crazy gizmos sold for things like handcut dovetails just baffles me... I think my father nailed it years ago when he said "people try to buy their skill with their next tool purchase." He had served an apprenticeship as a tool and die maker early in his career and definitely had an eye for mechanical things and for how people worked. "You know they are good if they make it look easy and they turn out good work." Self confidence in how they approach the job goes a long ways. Gizmo junkies don't necessarily perform better and may not be able to perform at all because they don't understand the task or the gizmo... I've witnessed quite a number of instances where this was true.
I recall my son describing woodworking as magic as rough cut wood was transformed into beautiful objects. Using L-N saws and planes helped him succeed as that stuff works well, but it was his developing skill that got the job done. He and his brother understand the processes better with each new project... that's what really matters.
John

168 mortises eh? Considering the amount of messages you've posted and time you've been online lately, I'm wondering how you found the time to cut those mortises?
Perhaps you finally got to Dominoing again because you managed to get it back after loaning it to Swingman? You gotta watch out for that guy. He's got a real fixation with your Domino.
On 2/8/2012 6:53 PM, Dave wrote:

Well I used the Domino. ;~) That afforded me more time on there. LOL

I hope this doesn't ruin your day; it is the newer bigger better Domino. But not available yet.
http://woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/Articles/Domino_XL_Sometimes_Bigger_is_just_Better_8956.aspx
On 2/8/2012 7:29 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:

http://woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/Articles/Domino_XL_Sometimes_Bigger_is_just_Better_8956.aspx I know about it and just got my rejection letter from Festool last week, then needed a few guiney pigs to try one out. I actually believe I am going to pass on this one, I think it is going to be better suited for larger than furniture projects. Now if I were into door building, bridge building, timber frame building, etc I would probably jump all over it. ;~)
"Leon" wrote

Rejection letter from Festool?? Those bastards!! LOL
You need to by the big fella. It will help with your upcoming catapult and trebuchet projects. ;-)
On 2/9/2012 9:43 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I know!

You know you're going to get one, it's just a matter of when. Think of what you could build with one? It could be a whole new category of building stuff. And considering what Swingman could do with one, you could get whatever you want in trade from him.
On 2/9/2012 10:31 AM, Dave wrote:

Gotta feeling it will probably be me, and we'll swap, as you previously indicated.
But with the dude cutting mortises at the rate of 1344/day, it appears I'll probably have to schedule far in advance.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/9/2012 10:34 AM, Swingman wrote:

I have actually taped the switch to be on all the time, I don't want to wait on it to power up between boards.

Looked thru some/most of your pics. Nice stuff.
On 2/8/2012 9:06 PM, notImpressed wrote:

Thank You! Can I build you something? I need to justify the cost of my Domino. LOL
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:09:58 +0000, Edward A. Falk wrote:

As long as it is not in a area that would transfer to the wood, you might try a little bee's wax on the parts. There are many types of plastic and WD-40 may not do any harm to the plastic you have.
Paul T.
snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote in wrote:

FWIW, I have a Dewalt DW682K that I have used a few times, but want to get rid of. Complete with case and a supply of several kinds of biscuits. I paid $190 for it 9 years ago. What should I ask for this?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Has it been stored inside or outside for the last 9 years?