JUST ONCE.....

Page 5 of 7
On 1/22/2012 7:26 PM, Morgans wrote:

Yeah, and your students would promptly do some internet research, find out were lying, and call you out on your BS. Your credibility would be shot, and then how effective a teacher would you be?
On 1/23/2012 1:30 AM, Just Wondering wrote:

i can guarantee if one of those was in a high school, there'd be a hotdog test every time the cartridge was replaced.
--
Steve Barker
Make somebody volunteer their own finger. That would stop the garbage.
---------- "Steve Barker" wrote in message
i can guarantee if one of those was in a high school, there'd be a hotdog test every time the cartridge was replaced.
--
Steve Barker
The videos stated that most of the accidents occur in seasoned professional after years of usage. Like most accidents...it's complacency. Good to depend on your own smarts and have a mechanical device as a backup.
Backup safety barriers are always good. If they aren't why does everybody have a first aid box handy? Everybody does right?... Right?
---------- "Morgans" wrote in message
Much better, in my opinion, to train them to be extremely careful and to use the already mandated and supplied safety devices. - and to SUPPLY the devices. (like push sticks, finger boards, splitters and guards)
Good points.
If I was a high school shop teacher (and I am) and I had a saw stop, I would tell the guys that they did not work as good as it shows on you-tube and even worse, that they sometimes did not work at all. That way, they could not depend on the saw stopping to keep them safe, and they would have to work on developing safe work habits.
-- Jim in NC
On 1/22/2012 9:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You mean like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj4eyGEJe-s

On 1/22/2012 10:27 PM, Jack wrote:

now THAT is pretty cool. Not that i condone using shakes as a roofing, but the sawing process is fascinating!
--
Steve Barker

False trips are an annoyance, but it's possible that the cost of the saw and replacement cartridges and blades might be saved by one real trip. You can be extremely careful in the shop (and should be) but one moment of stupidity or one action messed up could result in permanent injury.
I'm usually in the extremely careful camp, but made one mistake and fortunately the push block paid for it.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 1/22/2012 12:11 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

and THAT is why we use push sticks/blocks.
--
Steve Barker
On 1/22/2012 12:11 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Absolutely! We all try to be careful and those of us with half a brain realize that trying to be careful all of the time just does not fly. We are human and accidents happen.
How much does it cost to reattach a finger or hand?

Evidently, most tablesaur accidents are unrecoverable. The saw shatters the bones too badly in too many cases. Just call 'em Stubby.
-- I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty. -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Count Diodati, 1807
They cover the long term costs of the four operations in the videos. Whether exaggerated or not they are pretty high.
-------
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
wrote:

Evidently, most tablesaur accidents are unrecoverable. The saw shatters the bones too badly in too many cases. Just call 'em Stubby.

There's one thing that all the SawStop naysayers don't consider. That is the fact that there's no incidents of the SawStop failing to function as it's designed to. (At least, I haven't heard of any) If there were, the news of it would have reverberated throughout the woodworking industry as well as all the general news sources.
Apparently, the SawStop works as it's designed to otherwise we'd all have heard about it. 'Nuff Said!
Davey! Davey. How ignorant of you to say that! You have no idea how legal suits are done, do you?
When they give you the money you sign papers that silence you. The game is very early yet.
---------------- "Dave" wrote in message

There's one thing that all the SawStop naysayers don't consider. That is the fact that there's no incidents of the SawStop failing to function as it's designed to. (At least, I haven't heard of any) If there were, the news of it would have reverberated throughout the woodworking industry as well as all the general news sources.
Apparently, the SawStop works as it's designed to otherwise we'd all have heard about it. 'Nuff Said!

Of course I'm aware of it. How ignorant of you to dismiss human nature to talk and the eagerness of news outfits to discover and publish the truth.
If the SawStop failed to fulfill its purpose, the news of it would spread throughout the woodworking industry like a wildfire ~ despite any attempt by SawStop insurance to silence such occurrences.
Seems to me Joseppi was right!
You are ignorant of how legal cases work. When you go to a lawyer you are muzzled or you don't get no money and your lawyer walks away from you.
--------------- "Dave" wrote in message

You just love playing the ass don't you? Sure there will be a muzzle order in effect. But, people talk. News reporters can be just as determined as the most vile paparazzi. Are you actually stupid enough to think that kind of information would stay unrevealed?
Sorry my mistake. From day one, you've demonstrated your ignorance and stupidity here with most every message you've posted.
You are not much fun when you lose!
------------- "Dave" wrote in message
Sorry my mistake. From day one, you've demonstrated your ignorance and stupidity here with most every message you've posted.
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

I likewise consider myself in the "extremely careful" camp, but made one mistake a few years ago, resulting in a trip to the ER for what the doc called a "remarkably superficial" injury. Even so, it was quite painful, I'm now missing a *very* small portion of the tip of my left thumb, and there's a little spot that's permanently numb.
I've left the blood splashes on the wall, as a reminder to be more careful in the future.
On 1/22/2012 9:12 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

And unfortunately it takes this type of accident to make one realize how foolish the thought is that being careful and knowing the rules is all you need to do. We are only human after all. ;~)
Then factor the actual cost of the er trip, especially one that might involve bone, and the occasional false trip brake and blade replacement cost of $200 is simply not much worth mentioning.
On 1/22/2012 9:12 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

OBTY, many years ago I was putting a set of tires on a car, IIRC I was 20 years old. I was using the typical method of removing the valve stem from the tire and wheel on the tire machine and ended up slicing open my pinky finger on my left hand. Basically I cut from the tip of my finger back to the base of the nail and laid that and my nail over to one side. Bled like a stuck pig. I quickly push everything back in place and put a couple of band aids over it and left it that way for about 4 days. No stitches or trip for a tetanus shot, hell I was 20 and indestructible.
Well I must have been indestructible as when I removed the bandages 4 days later the injury was healing nicely and everything was the normal color.
I did however loose feeling on that side of my finger and there is still a small dark spot where dirt is apparently still under the skin. About five years later I noticed that I had regained all feeling in that finger again.
Your might also regain feeling in your thumb some time down the road.