Jobmate tools

Hello,

I'm a novice woodworker, and am trying to build myself a beginner set of power tools.

I noticed the Jobmate cordless drill is peanut-cheap. I imagine it's crap to some extent, but is it worth buying for a start or should i wait a little and save up to buy a better drill? how long will a jobmate drill last me before it breaks?

What about Black & Decker?

Thanks fred

Reply to
Frederic Elias
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Lets sum it up this way...Jobmate is one of the few tools comparable to home use B&D these days very basic light duty power tools but if used for light use only you cannot beat the value & price.....if you are buying them from Crappy Tire just make sure they break before the warranty runs out.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

You're probably not rich enough to afford crappy tools. This is my motto. That's why I always invest in high quality tools that will last me a lifetime. Anyway, you always forget the price but the quality last.

To answer your question about when it will break. It's simple: it will last as long as you don't use it!

Buy quality tools or rent them when you need them.

Wally.

Reply to
Wally

Save up for a decent one, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Makita, or Bosch (anybody I've left out?). A crappy cordless drill is _really_ crappy, a good one is remarkably good. It's not a matter of "how long will it work before it breaks", it's "how long will you suffer with it before you give up in disgust".

There's also the issue of batteries--they're rechargeable but they don't last forever, and in heavy (don't anticipate "heavy use"? Neither did I.) use you'll want several so you can have one in the drill and one or two on charge--if you've got an off-brand you may not be able to get more batteries when you need them. Further, the major brands have "systems" in which a number of different tools use the same type of battery, which is not only convenient but can save you money when compared with having a bunch of tools that use different batteries. When you buy, take a look at the whole system and buy into whichever one is going to match your needs best.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Remember Murphy's law of tool breakage: The more you want something to break, the longer it lasts.

I have a cheap 3/8" corded crapsman drill that I would love to burnout so I can replace it with something with power. So, when I put up my fence (128 feet, 6 screws per board) I decided that I would only use the crapsman and hold down the trigger between screws for good measure. Damn thing wouldn't burn out.

Reply to
Jay

snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com (Jay) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I guess I don't understand. If the tool doesn't do what you want it to do, give it away, or throw on the back of the bottom shelf, or something, and buy what you need (OK. want...)

Oh, wait. I get it. You weren't complaining, were you.

Sometimes, I'm slower than other times.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch